Bridal magazine feature or scam?

Sounds totally legit. Who in their right mind wouldn't pay some random person off the internet $2,000 to be in a magazine?

Well, technically it was a phone call, complete with charming British accent. He ended up calling my husband too (aka my marketing director...whom I had already relayed the conversation to so he was more prepared). My husband told the guy it sounded great and we'd be "happy to send you the check" if he could first wire us 200 pounds first to help with the fees for wiring money. My husband was promptly hung up on :)

I have a charming british accent.. Can I have $2000 too please? :)

Actually, can i have £2000, as being british I don't have a bank account in dollars...

I hate people that run these kind of scams. I hope they all get embarrassing genital diseases

Last edited:
Here's what I've learned about wedding photographers advertising in big name magazines: don't do it unless you've already established a reputable name for yourself.

So I was contacted by a guy in London claiming wonderful things about featuring my work in an upcoming Brides magazine ad under the topic of Destination Weddings. He went on and on how they've selected 25 photographers from countries where tourists are frequently traveling from the UK. I am supposedly 1 of 3 from Africa, and the only one in Tanzania...

He name dropped magazines like Vogue as part of their corporation, however after this highly flattering conversation started, he brought up the fee to be featured in the magazine. Normally he charges $2000 but apparently he offers 50% off for photogs they've never worked with. I have never been in this situation before but I assumed being featured in a magazine was not something you pay for, unless it was advertising space. Is this really normal or is it just a scam for naive photographers?

I asked them to email me their contact info, but have not received anything so I assume it's more than likely a scam. Am I right?

Received the same call today from British accent guy - today is April 6, 2014, with nearly identical message. He went on and on in his call. When I asked how he picked me out of all the Toronto photographers for his solo choice for magazine in our area, (plus there were only one candidate in other areas), he promptly hung up. Gut reaction, scam.

No
So I was contacted by a guy in London claiming wonderful things about featuring my work in an upcoming Brides magazine ad under the topic of Destination Weddings. He went on and on how they've selected 25 photographers from countries where tourists are frequently traveling from the UK. I am supposedly 1 of 3 from Africa, and the only one in Tanzania...

He name dropped magazines like Vogue as part of their corporation, however after this highly flattering conversation started, he brought up the fee to be featured in the magazine. Normally he charges $2000 but apparently he offers 50% off for photogs they've never worked with. I have never been in this situation before but I assumed being featured in a magazine was not something you pay for, unless it was advertising space. Is this really normal or is it just a scam for naive photographers?

I asked them to email me their contact info, but have not received anything so I assume it's more than likely a scam. Am I right?

Received the same call today from British accent guy - today is April 6, 2014, with nearly identical message. He went on and on in his call. When I asked how he picked me out of all the Toronto photographers for his solo choice for magazine in our area, (plus there were only one candidate in other areas), he promptly hung up. Gut reaction, scam.

Well in general I'd say anytime someone suggests that you not only work for them but that you should pay them money for the privilege your looking at a scam of one variety or another.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back