Bride in Black

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's been a while since I've shared one...

Wedding - Laura and Jim - 569.jpg

Comments welcome, of course.

Thanks for looking. :)

So if the dress color is white for the first marriage and cream for the second marriage, which is black? :p

Nice shot, I like the genuine smile and the veil.

Chris you doing weddings now? Cool!

Good exposure. Good edit. Great expression. Black dress...I dig it!

The veil though, rather spreads or dangles unnaturally. Looks like if it was being lifted and not adrift or blown - Try wiggling up and down from the end more until it catches some air adding volume(giving that floaty effect) and then take the shot. I also want to see more of the bouqet.

Good effort dude.

I agree with seeing more of the veil but I like it. and you have a great exposure. although everything is black you can still see everything like texture. I like that it seems there is a upward curve of motion to the upward left.... the veil, her body, her eyes and smile all give movement in that direction. nice work.

So if the dress color is white for the first marriage and cream for the second marriage, which is black? :p

Nice shot, I like the genuine smile and the veil.

haha... thanks. Their whole wedding was colored in a unique way. Lots of deep deep reds, black, etc. It was actually quite cool.

Chris you doing weddings now? Cool!

Good exposure. Good edit. Great expression. Black dress...I dig it!

The veil though, rather spreads or dangles unnaturally. Looks like if it was being lifted and not adrift or blown - Try wiggling up and down from the end more until it catches some air adding volume(giving that floaty effect) and then take the shot. I also want to see more of the bouqet.

Good effort dude.

Good effort? :lol: Dayum! :lol:

The veil was actually being literally blown around, which was actually why she was laughing at the time. It was pretty funny. The thing was a good 12' long and it was all over the place. (which is actually why I didn't get it quite straight... it was really unpredictable... I was standing a distance back from her and at one point it was straight out at me almost touching me... looked like an invisible hand was just holding it there

It's a good thing to keep in mind, though... that it almost looks like I tried to do a "blown around" shot and sorta screwed it up. Kind of funny since it was totally not fabricated in the least. Go figure! :lol:

This was my favorite overall shot of the set of ones with her veil being blown around, and it's mostly because of the framing and her facial expression. I just love her smile. I'll actually post some of the others when I correct them so you can see.

Thanks for the comments, man!

I agree with seeing more of the veil but I like it. and you have a great exposure. although everything is black you can still see everything like texture. I like that it seems there is a upward curve of motion to the upward left.... the veil, her body, her eyes and smile all give movement in that direction. nice work.

Thanks! I appreciate the comments very much- you're making me see an element I hadn't so clearly caught, but it's a big part of why I like the image.

The bride actually decided she wanted pictures outside. My partner in crime was using his camera on high ISO without a flash and you can see more of the background in his shots, but I deliberately chose the flash to completely black it out. I thought it would have a very nice effect.

Nice shot.

Since it is not every day that I see a bride wearing a black dress... I think a full body shot would be my first choice...

I have some of those too. :)

Part of why I liked this one particularly - you saw I commented we were outside - well one snag- we were on a deck with a white railing... I actually edited out the tiny bit of the top of the railing that I had on this shot- very easy to do and maintained the crop I wanted. In the full body shots the railing is pretty overwhelming and I'm not yet sure if I'm going to leave it in and deal with it or remove it.

I don't do these kinds of edits much and the irk me artistically... a minor tweak here and there I don't mind, but a full surgical edit like that makes me twitch a bit. Either way, I'll post it when I edit it so you can see.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

Nice! I love her expression.

What colour was the groom wearing? White tux? Looking forward to seeing other shots when you get them up.

The veil was actually being literally blown around, which was actually why she was laughing at the time. It was pretty funny. The thing was a good 12' long and it was all over the place.

Don't get me wrong..I dig it!

In my eyes what makes it unnatural is the bend in the veil. What I do is I grab the other end and pull it lightly towards the camera. I know sometimes the veil clip extends low giving it that bend, but for a shot like this, the ideal is to have the clip only attached ontop of the head.

Nice! I love her expression.

What colour was the groom wearing? White tux? Looking forward to seeing other shots when you get them up.

Thanks!

He was wearing a white tux... I think it had a black collar.

The veil was actually being literally blown around, which was actually why she was laughing at the time. It was pretty funny. The thing was a good 12' long and it was all over the place.

Don't get me wrong..I dig it!

In my eyes what makes it unnatural is the bend in the veil. What I do is I grab the other end and pull it lightly towards the camera. I know sometimes the veil clip extends low giving it that bend, but for a shot like this, the ideal is to have the clip only attached ontop of the head.

Nope, you hate it. You've hurt me forever. :lol:

Anyway, yes, I totally get what you're saying and agree. I was grinding my teeth over the bend in the veil myself. What I was trying (failing) to do, was explain what happened and how I wound up with this shot, but advice noted and appreciated, and next time I'll try to stage it as well. Just hope I can get such a good expression as I got shooting without posing. :)

I freshened this up a little... added a bit of saturation. I think her face was a touch washed out. I like it better now. :)

And you are not posting the new version because........? :sexywink:

Oh I just updated the version above... (I actually over-wrote it on my web server, so just a refresh should give you the new and improved version) :)

I like the shot a lot Chris. I just wish you wouldn't have cut off the flowers. :sexywink: The splash of color on the black is just wonderful.

Yeah, I was trying to minimize the editing necessity later on... there was a white fence that was about 1/5th of the way up into the picture that I had to edit out (as it was).

What I really should have done is asked her to hold it up a little higher......... lessons learned!

BTW, in the "Last of Bride in Black" post I did, her bouquet is up much higher. Have a look. :)

Most reactions

Back