Bright side?

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hmmm... they say that every cloud has it's silver lining. But I'm having trouble finding that right now.

Some of you may remember that I went for an interview 2 weeks ago for air traffic controlling. I got the letter today saying that I wasn't accepted, and that I'm not allowed to apply again. That's coz this was already my second time at it. :-(
So I was a fair bit upset today... which wasn't good, when I have to be dealing with bridezillas all day. So I shut the shop for 20 mins and went and chilled out (read cried) in the toilets. That was good.
I honestly thought I'd get into the course this time... which made the rejection even worse. :-(

But I've got no idea what I'm supposed to do now... like in my life? Where do I go now from here? (btw they're not hypothetical questions... I'd really like some ideas)

I finish my Bachelor of Languages at the end of this year.... but I have no idea what I want to be "when I grow up".

Mum suggested that if I really want to keep doing air traffic controlling, I should look at the air force. I thought that'd be ok... and then after a while if I wanted to go back into civil aviation I could do that pretty easily... I hope. But I don't know if I want to be part of 'the air force'. It's a scary thought.
I've never imagined myself in that sort of role.

So apart from that. HELP!
I need hugs. I'm upset. My life long dream has been squashed from under me. :-(

A.T.C. is a very high stress job! The few that I know tell me they are all chain smokers and a majority are alcoholics. Surly you can find a field with a healthier and more secure future. My choosen field is aircraft engine design and test. In all reality a military job in aerospace might not be a bad way to go. Most of the best of the best I worked with were ex-USAF.

aww sorry to hear that.

RAAF is scary. Everyone told me to try and get a job as a photographer... And I'm like hellllooooo..... THEY MAKE YOU RUN! RUN! Argh... RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if that isnt a problem, go for it. You might get posted at Amberley, then you could come see me (Amberley is about 20 mins away from me)

Sorry to say it but if you can't handle the stress of being turned down without shutting up shop and crying for twenty minutes then I'd have to say they were most likely right.

On the bright side though, this could well save you getting into a career that could ruin your life. ;)

Gotto agree with Alecia on the pooheads front...she does have a valid point.

Meysha matey im so sorry...its surprising that someone with your photographic tallent nd obvious intelligence hasnt gotten a job in the blink of an eye.

Have you ever thought about doing photography as your main profession? or maybe it already is?

awww, I'm sorry about that, Vicky. :hug:: I know you really had your heart set on it. It's hard to come to grips with the fact that, just because you feel in your heart that this was the job for you, the powers-that-be see it otherwise. :(

Like Marctwo said - maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. Who knows?

But you sure don't have to make a career decision right now, especially when you're trying to wrap your head around the idea that you can't even apply for the job again. Just chill out and let some time pass. Something completely different and unexpected may turn up when you're not even looking for it! :)

Meysha:

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Believe me, getting into something like that isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I got into medical school on my second try, and I thought I was on top of the world. After I got into it I realized that it was NOT what I wanted to do, and I quit after a year. A year gone from my life, 3 if you count my application years. The stress and time away from my family just wasn't for me. I have a friend who's an ATC here in the States. He just got divorced, and he is just burnt.

Have you thought of trying for something in journalism? If you have a language degree, just a few classes might make you a strong candidate! Plus you may be able to crack the photojournalism side of things...

Or maybe an international business career? IRRC, you have french under your belt don't you? Bilinguality lets you do anything you want.

A smokers rasp, antacid junky, and a pasty white belly hanging over your belt just don't suit you. I'm glad you're not going to be a high stress ATC. Although you are pretty funny when post drunk--and trust me, you'd have been drinking a lot more.

HTH's

Join the RAAF, it's really the only way you'll get into ATC and besides you'll only be away from Home for 11 weeks at the most getting trained in Wagga. All the while you can get flown anywhere in Australia for free, you can live Rent and Tax free. You can nominate where you want to get posted to and for how long before postal renew (Brisbane *cough*).

If you want to know more I can find out, I've got many friends that are Raafy's. :)

Mountainlander makes a good point Vicky, how about journalism!

Also :hug:: I'm very sorry to hear about this =( You've got my prayers...I know you'll find something perfect for you!

Vickey, Sorry to hear the news. I know you wanted very much to get into the field. From what I see you are very resilient and I’m sure will bounce back fine. Only you know the direction you should take next. You seem to love aviation so I would look at other carers in the field, possibly flying, much better view from the office.

Eric

Let me offer a :hug:: first off because it is very hard when life takes an unexpected turn! I think you've gotten some great suggestions for other careers that might involve aviation or photography. I hope you're able to find something else that sparks your interest. Give yourself some time to feel disappointed and then get up, brush yourself off and go find that silver lining, I know it's there!

I won't give you any advice because I just can't come up with any ideas... I'll just give you a hug ::hug::

:hug:: Aww vicky that sucks, Im so sorry! Perhaps you could pm a member on our board named luckydog, hes our resident RAAF flyer dude if my memory serves me correctly. It might be nice to get it straight from the horses mouth.

:hug:: try not to spazz too much :lol: things have a way of working themselves out.

Most reactions

Back