Bring it on Turkey!

Don't lure the wild turkeys in if you are planning on trying to grow stuff, they will nibble everything down as it starts to break through the ground. Between turkeys and deer you will almost have to put your garden in a cage.

Probably why they are called gobblers... lol

Darned deer and turkeys seem to run in packs together too...
400616008.jpg

They are smart though and quite shy. I see some from time to time at one of the places I go to shoot photos and even though it is a protected area they are still quite wary of people.

They are really, really ugly to. Not the best photos I've taken by a long shot but they will give you an idea of what you are chasing.

Actually, up here in Ontario they are not shy at all! They were reintroduced a few years back, and now they are pretty much everywhere. I've seen flocks of 40-50 often in my travels around the area, and they have little to no fear of people, cars, horses, etc.,etc.

PixelRabbit - congrats on the new place! It looks like you guys landed a gorgeous property - what area are you in?
FYI, in case you guys do start hunting in the future - you need a special license to hunt turkeys: Wild Turkey

Have fun getting to know the local wildlife! Have you seen any coyotes yet?

Took my face out of the camera long enough to upload this one.... look who I found out front today :) ... can't wait to go through today's pics later! ...
IMG_3644.jpg

I'll be back !! ...

We used to raise chickens, both meat birds & layers, geese, ducks & pigs. It is cheaper to buy your pork than grow your own. Buy cuts on sale & stock your freezer.

Here are some shots in our back yard:

1. This is a scan of an old print

Mothergoose.jpg

IMG_4089sm.jpg

IMG_4205sm.jpg

I've raised turkeys for a few years now for freezer stock and eggs. Their eggs are great (better than chickens IMO) nice and large hard shells and great for baking. Raising you're own let's you pick your finished size too ( I've had some dressed out for the smoker at 45lbs!)

Probably best to do your looking in the morning when it's light out where they feed. Try gobbling they might answer. My turkeys were very talkative. Also at evening time look up where they'll roost. Turkeys have GREAT eyesight do if you see them they see you most likely.

Hey Dave, ah so now I know who to message with poultry/smoking questions ;) lol
When she finally did stick around yesterday she kept a good eye on me!

Don't lure the wild turkeys in if you are planning on trying to grow stuff, they will nibble everything down as it starts to break through the ground. Between turkeys and deer you will almost have to put your garden in a cage.

Probably why they are called gobblers... lol

Darned deer and turkeys seem to run in packs together too...
400616008.jpg
Hey Tony :) Very good point lol We wondered why the old owners used the greenhouses so much when they were growing for personal use (they grew commercially in them prior to that) and that might be why...
Neat to see the deer and turkeys together, I find their tracks together here, esp around the pond.

Actually, up here in Ontario they are not shy at all! They were reintroduced a few years back, and now they are pretty much everywhere. I've seen flocks of 40-50 often in my travels around the area, and they have little to no fear of people, cars, horses, etc.,etc.

PixelRabbit - congrats on the new place! It looks like you guys landed a gorgeous property - what area are you in?
FYI, in case you guys do start hunting in the future - you need a special license to hunt turkeys: Wild Turkey

Have fun getting to know the local wildlife! Have you seen any coyotes yet?
Heya BlackSheep :) Thanks! we are in the Hanover area, between Hanover and Durham. Thanks for the reminder on the license.
We haven't seen any coyotes yet but pretty sure we have heard them and there is a ton of canine tracks around, some around the right size. I can't wait to get the deer cams in so we can see who all is here and how often.

We used to raise chickens, both meat birds & layers, geese, ducks & pigs. It is cheaper to buy your pork than grow your own. Buy cuts on sale & stock your freezer.

Here are some shots in our back yard:

1. This is a scan of an old print

Mothergoose.jpg

IMG_4089sm.jpg

IMG_4205sm.jpg

Hey Ron, nice pics! The deer is great :) Are you still on the farm now?

So here is a couple shots of her! For an "ugly" bird I actually find her quite beautiful :)

IMG_3809.jpg

She kept a good eye on me.

IMG_3863.jpg

Ah nice Ron, sounds like we live in similar places :)

Nice shots PixelRabbit!

Ah, I know your area quite well - my sister used to have a horse farm up near Markdale. You guys are luck to live in such a beautiful area :)

Looks like you have some beautiful birds running round your place.

Here's a little turkey fun for you (it's better with music but that would violate some copyright laws) :

It's a nesting pair of Narragansetts and a puppy we were raising for my stepson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots PixelRabbit!

Ah, I know your area quite well - my sister used to have a horse farm up near Markdale. You guys are luck to live in such a beautiful area :)
Thanks!
Hubby worked in Markdale for a while at Terra. We love it up here, moved to the area from Guelph 10 years ago and you couldn't pay me enough to go back to the city.
Looks like you have some beautiful birds running round your place.

Here's a little turkey fun for you (it's better with music but that would violate some copyright laws) :

It's a nesting pair of Narragansetts and a puppy we were raising for my stepson.

Aw Dave! that's awesome :) thanks for sharing it!
I find someone new every few days still and it is wild :) I can't even fathom springtime! I'm likely going to drive my family and friends (and possibly the forum) insane with wildlife pics well before spring though lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back