British Photographers

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know of any well-known British photographers? I'm doing a project, for my Brit. Lit. class on the modern era (1900 - present), and part of the project is the art of the modern era. We have a several artists (Warhol, Rockwell, Dali, and Picasso), but we need at least one to be British. I figured it would be nice to throw in a photographer, but as I'm not familiar with photographers, it would be helpful if you guys could throw out some names. I will be looking for some people myself and I'll post them here and maybe you guys could tell me what you think. My main issue is where to look for names of people. All I'm doing is googling British Photographers, but I'm not sure if I'm getting famous photographers or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading!

P.S. So far I've found only David Hamilton

andreag5 said:
AWESOME! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks a lot!

It's a shame that Lee Miller wasn't British, even though she lived here, because she and her husband Roland Penrose (the British surrealist painter and poet) were friends of Pablo Picasso, who they met during the Spanish civil war. Last month's Black & White Photography magazine had a feature on one of her pictures of Picasso, taken on the back step of her house in Sussex in 1950. But then she wasn't British, rather an American, so this contribution isn't much help...:blushing:

Anyway, who are you reading for your Brit. Lit. class? Way back, scarily enough almost exactly half my lifetime ago, I did a class called Literature and Social Crisis in the 20th Century, as part of the 2nd year of my English degree, which was about as modern as we got.

Thomsk (who would rather be in a Lit. class than sitting in his office right now)

ThomThomsk said:
It's a shame that Lee Miller wasn't British, even though she lived here, because she and her husband Roland Penrose (the British surrealist painter and poet) were friends of Pablo Picasso, who they met during the Spanish civil war. Last month's Black & White Photography magazine had a feature on one of her pictures of Picasso, taken on the back step of her house in Sussex in 1950. But then she wasn't British, rather an American, so this contribution isn't much help...:blushing:

Anyway, who are you reading for your Brit. Lit. class? Way back, scarily enough almost exactly half my lifetime ago, I did a class called Literature and Social Crisis in the 20th Century, as part of the 2nd year of my English degree, which was about as modern as we got.

Thomsk (who would rather be in a Lit. class than sitting in his office right now)

Most recently we read James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

andreag5 said:
Most recently we read James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
Ah, so it's Brit. Lit. in the widest possible sense of "Brit" then... I'm not sure whether I'm envious or not, now that you've told me that!

Thomsk

ThomThomsk said:
Ah, so it's Brit. Lit. in the widest possible sense of "Brit" then... I'm not sure whether I'm envious or not, now that you've told me that!

Thomsk

Yes, we started way back when the literature was written on stone ;) and have slowly worked our way to the present. My group for the project is actually being appointed to teach the class the entire 20th century, focusing on British literature but encompassing any other important literature, society, history, religion, art, music, etc. Basically we are identifying the zeitgeist of the 20th Century. The other groups, there are three in total, are in charge of teaching the Enlightenment and the Victorian Age.

Most reactions

Back