What's new

Broke the Bank

Formatted

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
1,391
Reaction score
66
Location
England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As some of you know the last couple of months, I've been putting together a plan for a business partnership. I'm lucky that I've been given some money to put this together.

I've just put an order in for some new gear, and it should all be here by Wednesday.

Although it might sound excessive for one person to have all this kit, its partnership, I doubt there will be a day that goes by that one of doesn't use the kit.

Nikon Stuff
D3s
SB-900
Nikon 14-24 f/2.8
1.4x Teleconverter (x2)
Nikon 600mm F/4
Nikon 200-400 f/4
Nikon 24-120 F4
Spare batteries

Support kit
StreetWalker HardDrive
Airport International
Gitzo GM5561
Gitzo GT5541
Wimberley Head
Wimberely P50

A load of Memory cards, 4 rugged hard drives and some Mac stuff.

There are a couple of stages we need to go through, like finalising the website, logos and lawyer stuff but we're off to New Zealand in little over a months time, then Iceland and Canada. We've also been commissioned to go to Cameroon to document a Gas project.

Its the start of a big thing, and I'd like to thank everyone that has made it possible, especially some of the people on this board that have inspired me to follow my passion. Even if I am going to be a poor starving artist....
 
wow, you went all-out! Congrats and best wishes!
 
Awesome stuff... except 24-120 F4 ?? Why not the superior 24-70 f2.8 ?
 
Congrats, thats super exciting. I can't wait to hear about it so you better tweet tonnes. If your out the Alberta way let me know, Ill buy you an Albertan Steak.
 
Congrats!

My hopes are one day to do something along those lines. Seeing that someone from this community has made it with help, just makes me smile and hope you nothing but the best. Keep us posted on your venture, and share any tips you have for us as well.
 
How come all your lenses are F/4? Not one fast lens in that arsenal...
Correction the 12-24 is 2.8. That's the only one though.

except 24-120 F4 ?? Why not the superior 24-70 f2.8 ?

We went for the 24-120, its a small lens, light weight and with high ISO cameras 1 stop less of light isn't a concern. We felt that we've got all this big heavy equipment, we both already have D700's so a smaller lighter lens would fit better in our arsenal if we were going somewhere, where we wanted to keep a lower profile and not haul around a heavier 24-70.

I can't wait to hear about it so you better tweet tonnes.

First tweeted picture will probably be off all the golden boxes!

If your out the Alberta way let me know, Ill buy you an Albertan Steak.

Be-careful I might take you up on that offer!

Keep us posted on your venture, and share any tips you have for us as well.

We're in the process of setting up a website, plan is to have a regular blog update to share tips, reviews and updates.
 
Last edited:
Congrats!!! What is the partnership/business? Also if you dont mind me asking whats the pricetag on it all:D?
 
Lol I was serious, in alberta we have some excellent beef so again if your out my way, we'll buy you dinner. And then you can regale me with pictures from your trip so I can live vicariously through your adventure. :p
 
You need a lottt of bags with excellent support that will fit Airlines criteria and the type of plane traveling on.

PolyCore
 
What is the partnership/business?

We are both very young but enthusiastic photographers, we're currently both working as independent stock photographers, but we are joining together to cover more ground on commissioned work as well as some fine prints. We're working with a local canvaser and several galleries and restaurants to put together some work for there walls over the next year.

Although primarily we are looking at nature photography, my partner is a accredited football league photographer and we are both CRB events photographers. I'm seeking Rugby League accreditation for 2012 and we both are in the application pipeline for 2012.

Its not going to be easy, there are going to be times when we want to give up, we'll probably have to do something we don't want to do like product photographer or weddings, to pay the bills and keep the wolves away from the door. But we're prepared to make sacrifices, I for one don't mind being a starving artist if I can spend the next 20 years of life travelling the world doing what I love.

Also if you dont mind me asking whats the pricetag on it all?

It may sound silly since but I'd rather not say, we got some good deals from our friends at Grays of Westminster.

You need a lottt of bags with excellent support that will fit Airlines criteria and the type of plane traveling on.

We're using some Think Tank gear, we'll stick hoods, tripods and other chargers in the hold to keep down weight, but we know that all the gear we need will fit into 2 carry on bags. Thanks for the link

And then you can regale me with pictures from your trip so I can live vicariously through your adventure

If we come down your way, I'll be sure to take up the offer.

Thanks for the positive comments, I don't know what I was expecting but this most certainly wasn't it!
 
Last edited:
Congratulations! Great report!

I also want to get in on this thread to keep up with you. I would love to be able to follow this adventure via a blog.
 
I haven't been following too closely, so I don't exactly know your situation. You may already have this, but if not I'd throw in a 50mm 1.8. Won't take up much room at all in the bag, and wouldn't be much of a hit to the wallet (especially compared to the list above). Congrats on the new gear and adventure!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom