Broken light meter

angecampigotto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The light meter on my slr film camera is broken, so I figured if I bring along my dslr, set my iso to the same as the film I've got and point it to what I want to shoot with my film should come out looking alright. Will this work and is there something that I also need to set on my dslr to ensure this works? I just don't want to waste all my rolls of film, haha.

It might not be dead on, but it will be close enough. I would say plus or minus half a stop...

edit
The reason I say it might be a little different is because the mirror might pass more or less light on one of the bodies - which will affect the meter readings. For example, the mirror on my 1N RS only reflects 35% of the light up into the viewfinder. In comparison, a 1V reflects 63% of the light into the viewfinder.

Last edited:
Using your DSLR should work well, but if you don't want to tote it around, there are a couple of options. One is the Sunny 16 Rule, and the other is to pick up a hand-held light-meter. There are scads of them on eBay, and you can get an excellent Luna for well under $100.

You will need to set the ASA settings for each camera the same for it to be calibrated properly.Ron G

Most reactions

New Topics

Back