Broken rule

Wino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I know I've broken the major rule when photographing children, but they were now or never situations.

Image1-3.jpg

Image2-1.jpg

Love the color in the first pic, child doesn't seem to happy to get the pic taken( when do they ever! :) ) Second pic is showing up pretty blurry...

I like #1. The coloring is great. details are crisp. Her smile is reminiscent of the Mona Lisa.

As newbie here and someone who hasnt really done much photography of people beyond the holiday snaps, i was just wondering what rule has been broken? Because the photos look really good as far as i can tell.

Love the color in the first pic, child doesn't seem to happy to get the pic taken( when do they ever! :) ) Second pic is showing up pretty blurry...

Hi crystalhb,

Thanks for looking and for your comment.

Re the second one, the original looks fine on my laptop, but I think cropping, resizing, and Photobucket, all contributed to degrading it. I did preview it on here and left it on to see what comments it got.

As newbie here and someone who hasnt really done much photography of people beyond the holiday snaps, i was just wondering what rule has been broken? Because the photos look really good as far as i can tell.

Hi Storky1980,

Thanks for looking and for your kind comment and question.

Get down to their level. Mind you, I don't always because one can miss a lot of natural shots.

...i was just wondering what rule has been broken?

Hi Storky1980,

Get down to their level.

You can relax... that's NOT a "major rule"... or a even a rule for that matter. In fact, one widely accepted approach is: Since adults are accustomed to looking down at children, it's quite natural to photograph them from the same perspective.

-Pete

Hi Storky1980,

Get down to their level.

You can relax... that's NOT a "major rule"... or a even a rule for that matter. In fact, one widely accepted approach is: Since adults are accustomed to looking down at children, it's quite natural to photograph them from the same perspective.

-Pete

Actually Pete, in many years I've never come across that "widely accepted approach". For the vast majority of photographers what I've said IS a major rule, but let's not fall out over it. Let's beg to differ.

So there you are Storky1980, two well meant replies. I'm sure that over time you will see why I said it's a major rule. See what you (or did I?) started. :) :) :)

That first shot is a nice one in so many ways.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Hi Storky1980,

Get down to their level.

-Pete

For any shots, the emphasis is NOT on the adult point of view, but rather the children themselves and their point of view, which is why it is a "major rule" for successful child photographers.

I notice for example that even the papparazi do not shoot DOWN on short celebrities just because that is their point of view. For that matter, we don't shoot UP at tall people either, so why shoot down at children?

skieur

Actually Pete, in many years I've never come across that "widely accepted approach".

Don't worry... we'll bring you up to speed.

-Pete

Thank you Pete, and I will reciprocate.

Perhaps if you have the time and inclination you will comment on the two pics. No hard feelings if you don't.

Hi Storky1980,

Get down to their level.

-Pete

For any shots, the emphasis is NOT on the adult point of view, but rather the children themselves and their point of view, which is why it is a "major rule" for successful child photographers.

I notice for example that even the papparazi do not shoot DOWN on short celebrities just because that is their point of view. For that matter, we don't shoot UP at tall people either, so why shoot down at children?

skieur

Hi skieur,

Thanks for looking and for your input.

Most reactions

Back