Budget Manual Focus Nikon Lens?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by gryffinwings, Dec 4, 2018.

1. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

K-series Nikkor lenses were Non-AI types made from 1974 until the introduction of AI lenses in 1977. Nikon dropped the "Q", "P", etc designations during this period. The K lenses also had a more modern appearance and look a lot like the later AI lenses (cosmetically speaking).

This is a K-type Nikkor:
    [​IMG]

It looks a lot like the later AI type but it is Non-AI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good thread..

I actually have a fungus lens but so far it hasn't seemed to hurt anything (and it has been a few years). I like the look of some of these older lenses. Not as clear as the new but still nice renditions

3. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

I have two of the Nikon 50mm lenses that I have used on my EM, FT, FE and F3 over the years. The 1.8 and 1.2 both of which were purchased for under $60. My first piece of advice is to get off eBay and look elsewhere. I found my 50mm 1.2 in an antique shop about 45 min from home for $60. Ill admit it was a pretty lucky find but they are out there and at a dusty antique store you can sometimes get away from silly overpriced issues you have on eBay. I picked up the 50mm 1.8 on an EM body at a curb side flea market 15 blocks from home for like $40. Both lenses are fungus free and have worked flawlessly since I got them. Go on an adventure, go to estate sales, go to flea markets, ask around, you may find what you are looking for more easily than expected.

Fungus can be removed at home, the older the lens the better. Generally the projects may not be for the faint of heart but if its only surface fungus its quite fixable. The issues you tend to have is when the fungus has etched the glass a bi-product of an acid the fungus creates. Some of surface coatings can also react with fungus and cause issues over time. You dont really need that many special tools, just a set of watch screwdrivers and maybe a lens opening tool.