Budget Manual Focus Nikon Lens?

The nikon 100 2.8 e lens is very under rated, I like it a lot. If you look around, you can find them within your budget.

... can you tell me exactly what a "K" variant lens is, I'm not sure how to identify one. I'm familiar with Nikkor-Q, Nikkor-P, Nikkor-S as identifiers but not K.

K-series Nikkor lenses were Non-AI types made from 1974 until the introduction of AI lenses in 1977. Nikon dropped the "Q", "P", etc designations during this period. The K lenses also had a more modern appearance and look a lot like the later AI lenses (cosmetically speaking).

This is a K-type Nikkor:
klens.jpg

It looks a lot like the later AI type but it is Non-AI.

I have owned an example of the 50 mm F2 lens shown above for many years, and it's a pretty good performer,with a six-bladed diaphragm. It was made before the AI system was introduced, and I have over the years seen these listed in for-sale ads as pre-KI, RiFR, meaning rubber inset focusing ring style, which easily differentiates these lenses from the much more-numerous lenses that were also pre-AI, and which had the scalloped metal focusing ring system that Nikon premiered in 1959.

So, I'm in need of some prime lenses, and as usual there are a ton of older lenses on eBay, all the more popular lenses are commanding a premium, even the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AI-S is starting at 60 USD or more, so can anyone recommend some lens that are more budget oriented that are decent and not horrible.

All of the E series primes would probably fit that requirement. I've owned most of them at one time or another and found them to be at least satisfactory if not pretty darn good.

I have an E Series 50MM/1.8 and found it to be every bit as good as standard Nikon excepting construction. And even there it's as good as most. Think I paid $6 US for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back