Budget (night photography) lens for Canon Rebel T3i (EOS 600D)

The only thing you need in a tripod for long exposures is stability. It has to be ROCK solid. Can't move a single millimeter or the photo will be soft or totally blurred

Buck, you are my hero! Thank you very much once again :)
I also visited your website and checked out the gear you are using, really impressive! Especially the DIY MFB!

Buck, you are my hero! Thank you very much once again :)
I also visited your website and checked out the gear you are using, really impressive! Especially the DIY MFB!
You're very welcome! I'm always glad to help if I can. :)

Plans slightly changed.
Because of a discount I decided to get the Canon EOS 60D instead the 600D/T3i.
They offer the 60D Kits with the 18-55mm and the 18-135mm for almost the same price, of course a little bit more zoom is always nice but I read something about the more zoom you have in a lens, the worse the image quality is (not sure how true that is though).

So I can currently decide two out of following options.
- Canon 18-55mm (Kit)
- Canon 18-135mm (Kit)
- Canon 50mm F/1.8
- Canon 55-250mm 4.5.6
- Tamron SP 28-75mm F/2.8 (IF) Macro

I would be interested in an option where I would clearly see the difference between the two lenses, I'm thinking about the second cheapest combination of the Canon 18-135mm and the Canon 50mm 1.8.

What do you think?

Can you buy just the body of the camera (saving u some bucks) and then buy the 50mm 1.8 and them tamron 28-75 2.8? Or would that be too expensive for you?I bought just the body of my nikon d3100 and the nikon 50 1.8 + tamron 28-75 2.8. Both great lenses, much better than any kit lens. And if you plan on shooting in low light or so, you gonna like fast lenses.I got a discount of more than 100 and with this money i bought my 50mm 1.8.

Well, it seems like you're not really interested in shooting moving objects, so why not a 5D classic then spend the rest on glass?

There was a very good offer going on so I got it, the bundle included:
- Canon 60D with 18-135mm Kit Lens
- Transcend 32GB SDHC Card
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

What do you guys think? Was it a good choice? Unfortunately I have to wait two more weeks because it will be send to my address in Switzerland where I'll spend Christmas. I was today at the mall and luckily they had the 60D with these two lenses, and I tried them out - pretty good!

Most reactions

Back