Buing used lenses on ebay

zcar21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently sold the kit lens so I'm in the market for a budget usm lens. I've been checking on ebay for one in good condition, but I just noticed that there are people buying and reselling jaking up prices. I just checked two lenses that I mostly interesting in, but there are probably a lot more people doing this. I guess I'll keep waiting until I can get a good deal.

Last edited:
Did the lens you sold 18-55mm IS kit lens? If yes, why are you selling that kit lens and then in a market for a budget USM lens?

I had the mark II. it was ugly looking, and I want a usm lens. Prices vary from 100 to around 250 dollars.

Last edited:
besides I'll take a usm lens over the IS any day.

Others reasons to get a usm lens ove the IS kit are faster, quieter focusing, internal, full manual focus, better quality, longer range, again better looking, etc.

Last edited:
Another reason is that I want a lens that I could use with my eos film camera also. But this thread is about ebay, not kit lens.

...But this thread is about ebay, not kit lens.
Ehhh.. this thread actually seems to be about the fact that you sold a lens and are looking for a new one. Did you have a specific question about buying used lenses, about eBay, or ???

I have no question, just commenting on some ebay sellers. They buy an used lens, say $ 70 (on ebay), and resell it for 100 or even more (again on ebay). I know this is a normal fact of life, but it's anoying to have to pay higher prices because a lot of people doing it.

You may already know, just in case. Not all the USM lens are internal and full time manual focus. Do you have a particular lens you have in mind already?
As for ebay, yes, sometimes you can find some nice deals there. I have not buy lens from ebay for a little while. But I remembered in the past when the end bid day was in Sunday afternoon or end bid early in the morning (like on or before 7am Central time), I had a higher chance to get them at a better price.

I have no question, just commenting on some ebay sellers. They buy an used lens, say $ 70 (on ebay), and resell it for 100 or even more (again on ebay). .
Or even more? OMG!

Or do you mean they TRY to resell it. A lot of stuff listed on eBay, never sells.

Check CraigsList for lenses, especially this time of year. A lot of people either bought or received cameras/lenses for Christmas and are realizing about now they really didn't want to get into photography. The nice thing about CraigsList is you can actually see and inspect the lens before buying.

Thanks for the tips, I checked other places and ebay have the best prices. I get a bad feeling with some of those items, but there is a good deal ending sunday night. I'll keep watching.

This is an old thread but I just wanted to make another comment. I was checking some lenses and I noticed this:

s.gif

Bidder Information
Bidder:
s.gif
5***0
s.gif
( private )
s.gif
s.gif
100%
s.gif
Positive
Item description:
s.gif
Item Title: Canon EF 35 mm f/2 Lens USA *MINT CONDITION*
Bids on this item:
s.gif
s.gif
30-Day Summary
Total bids:
s.gif
Items bid on:
s.gif
Bid activity (%) with this seller:
s.gif
0%
s.gif
btnHelp.gif
Bid retractions:
s.gif
Bid retractions (6 months):
s.gif

Obviously the bidder is just raising the price without buying anything. I just noticed this last night. I wonder what else to look out for when shopping on ebay.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no question, just commenting on some ebay sellers. They buy an used lens, say $ 70 (on ebay), and resell it for 100 or even more (again on ebay). I know this is a normal fact of life, but it's anoying to have to pay higher prices because a lot of people doing it.

Why would you buy such a low quality lens for a 5d mark II?

This is an old thread but I just wanted to make another comment. I was checking some lenses and I noticed this:

s.gif
Bidder Information
Bidder:
s.gif
5***0
s.gif
( private )
s.gif
s.gif
100%
s.gif
Positive
Item description:
s.gif
Item Title: Canon EF 35 mm f/2 Lens USA *MINT CONDITION*
Bids on this item:
s.gif
s.gif
30-Day Summary
Total bids:
s.gif
Items bid on:
s.gif
Bid activity (%) with this seller:
s.gif
0%
s.gif
btnHelp.gif
Bid retractions:
s.gif
Bid retractions (6 months):
s.gif

Obviously the bidder is just raising the price without buying anything. I just noticed this last night. I wonder what else to look out for when shopping on ebay.

What do you mean that the bidder is raising the price without buying anything? Bid retractions? I did this once because I misread the description. Ebay lets you retract a bid within the first hour if there have not been any other bids. The price goes back to what it was before you bid, so it really isn't driving up the price at all.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
who bids 4830 in 30 days? That's 161 times a day.

Most reactions

Back