Bulk Prints, negatives and slide scanning services?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have boxes upon boxes of slides, prints and negatives that need to be digitized. Does anyone have a good place to take care of this? Also any idea on price for roughly 100k scans.

Are you kidding or being serious???!! LOL I hope you have a really big piggy bank to bust open for this - 100,000?? I have no idea... I guess you'd just have to start pricing places.

Some that develop and scan film/negatives that I know of are Dwayne's in Kansas, The Darkroom in San Francisco, Blue Moon in Portland - maybe call them and hope they don't hang up when you tell them how many.

With no mention of format or print size, I'd suggest a flatbed and use it to sift things out, especially piles of negs. Budget for a lot of time and beer, too.

Are you kidding or being serious???!! LOL I hope you have a really big piggy bank to bust open for this - 100,000?? I have no idea... I guess you'd just have to start pricing places.

Totally serious.

I have a 15-20k budget to get this done. It's for my company that has been around for over 60 years and this is the history of the company.

With no mention of format or print size, I'd suggest a flatbed and use it to sift things out, especially piles of negs. Budget for a lot of time and beer, too.

Honestly I have no idea. Most of it is in boxes or in albums. If I had to guess I'd say mostly 35mm slides and negs and 4x6-5x7 prints.

I did find one box with about a dozen glass negatives from the 60's. Not sure what I am going to do with those.

The fun part is a lot of it was shot on Kodachrome so I am excited to get those digitized.

for roughly 100k scans.
Mad. :lol:

You're telling me. Now imagine if your VP came down and said "hey you know that room with several dozen boxes? Yeah get those scanned."
:lol:That's mad to. At least you would be paid for the effort.
For the prints you need scanner with auto-loader and software to do the saving automatically to. I have no idea if there is such a scanner for negatives which would be affordable for privet use and if auto scanning would give good quality.

Wild price swings $.30 - $.70.

What quality scans are we talking about here?

It seems like sending out the large format negs, and just buying a dedicated medium and small format scanner and hiring a temp to put them through would be most cost effective.

Nikon Coolscan 9000s can still be had or if you wanted new a Plustek with an extra set of film holders (to load one while the other is in use) would/should work pretty well

Plustek OpticFilm 120 Film Scanner Review

What quality scans are we talking about here?

It seems like sending out the large format negs, and just buying a dedicated medium and small format scanner and hiring a temp to put them through would be most cost effective.

Nikon Coolscan 9000s can still be had or if you wanted new a Plustek with an extra set of film holders (to load one while the other is in use) would/should work pretty well

Plustek OpticFilm 120 Film Scanner Review

Sadly we cannot justify an extra person to do just scanning. We are way too busy to do it ourselves so that is why we wanted to send it out and just have it done and out of our hair.

100k of images is not bad at all I work at a history library and we did almost 1.5 million scans of various record types and and photographs this last quarter, and we will do 4 million plus this year.

I've heard good things about http://www.scancafe.com
All done by hand ? :???:

Not all of it some documents go through auto sheet fed scanners, microfilm scanning has a fairly automated process, but all photos, slides and negatives, glass plates etc get done by hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back