Bulk & quality vs. portability and "having a camera"

Bulk vs. portability: How do you handle it?

• I try to always carry my SLR when there will be photo opps, and accept that I'll miss some

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I carry a point & shoot when I'm not carrying my SLR, just so I don't miss the shot of a lifetime fo

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I find that a good point & shoot camera is all that is needed, most times.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I carry my SLR when I know I'll be shooting, and close my photographic eye when I'm not carrying it.

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy Z

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering on how TPF folks feel about this.

On the one hand, we know SLRs provide better quality photos, all else being equal. So theoretically, we should shoot with our SLRs most of the time.

On the other hand, SLRs, even micro 4/3 ones, are bulky and simply cannot be carried & forgotten until needed.

How do you handle this?

For the purpose of this poll, ultrazoom cameras are considered point & shoot cameras.

I carry mine daily, regardless of photo ops. I try to go on a photo walk every day over lunch hour as well.

I have a lowe pro sling pack. I carry my camera with me everyday, and I have for about the last 9 years.

Up until last year, I carried a P&S with me. I was shooting electrical related shots - lots of them:p

Now I carry my T1i with 2 lens and a nice P&S.

its all about a) what kind of camera you have (d40/d90 vs d700/d3) and b) how you pack it.

you get the right combo of camera and bag and it can be very easy to forget you have it

i try to carry mine everywhere, a bit off topic, ive been looking at the Tenba laptop messenger photo bag, anyone have any experience with it?

I carry two Canon film cameras with me everywhere, the canon 650 (with a 18 to 55mm lens) and a Canon 620 (with a 70 to 200mm lens). I love the challenge of film. Waiting for the processed film is like opening a Christmas present. What did I get? Did I get the shot? Did I screw it up? I love the mystery and discovery of film.

When people are paying me, I break out my DSLRs (a Canon 20D and Canon 30D). I love these cameras. They are great. But there's not much of a challenge with these cameras.

I have a tamrac bag with two slr bodies with grips batteries and all the things that come with, cables chargers etc and at least 4 lenses (plural) and the macbook with me at all times. people think im weird

The Olympus E-PL1 isn't bulky. I can fit it w/ 14-42mm lens in my dress slacks in the same pocket as my wallet. Put the 20mm or 17mm pancakes on it, and it's the size of a Canon G11.

I always carry my D300 with me in my truck. I even carry it now when I go to hit up the Portajohns at jobsites in some areas. I do this because one day I didnt have my D50 when I went and, there was a bobcat on the way. Since then I always have my camera.

I almost always have my DSLR with me. I've found that when I don't have it, I miss some of the best shots. My backup is my iPhone, lol.

most if my stuff fit into my slingshot 200 bag,

if i leave home, i usually bring my stuff and keep it in the car just in case i need it,

3 of the 4 choices have "SLR" in the wording... hmmm...? Where do I fit in? :lol:

Sounds to me like Jeremy is going through what I went through a couple years ago.. the joy of having the equipment fit "you".

The Olympus E-PL1 isn't bulky. I can fit it w/ 14-42mm lens in my dress slacks in the same pocket as my wallet. Put the 20mm or 17mm pancakes on it, and it's the size of a Canon G11.

And it's technically not a DSLR. No mirror.

yeah, but the dslr quality is there..

Like with a Canon GX(X) series P&S? It can't change lenses but I've seen some shots with lighting setups where you wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference unless you read the EXIF or the person who took the picture told you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back