Bull Moose

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday my girlfriend and I were hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park... hoping to see some moose for photo ops. As we climbed higher, we came to a rock outcrop that looks out over the valley where the East Inlet trail is. We stopped there to do some shots of the valley. I was using my 10-24 on my tripod and had it in remote mode. I was also bracketing.

I hear my GF say "Charlie" in a very tense voice.. and I look around. There is a young, but fairly good sized bull moose standing about 15 feet away.. eyeballing us. I think "crap... gotta get the camera off the tripod, and get a decent lens on!". I was also thinking "God.. I hope he doesn't charge" since I was standing on the edge of a cliff with about a 600 foot drop below me. I look at my girlfriend, and she is just standing there with her D90 (with my 28-300 attached) at her waist.. not even shooting.

I whisper for her to start shooting.. the moose turns away and starts down a game trail that leads to the bottom of the valley. She started shooting.. I finally got the camera off of the tripod and I snap a couple of quick shots at 24mm.... and then switch to my 70-200 2.8 as fast as I can.. holler at her to watch the gear, and take off after the fast disappearing moose. I followed tracks all the way down to the bottom.. pretty steep.. I was hauling A$$. Never did see the moose again.. although he could easily have been within 20 feet of me once we hit the forest again... they move like ghosts. I was disappointed.. but hey, it happens! I have never had a bull that close before... it was wild. I have had cows literally push me off the trail.. but bulls are much more reclusive.

This is the best shot she got... at 28mm with a 28-300 lens.. she was freaked! The bull was broadside to us for maybe 10 seconds.. maybe 15 feet away... arrgghhh! :)

bull-moose.jpg

This is one of my 24mm shots while he was heading away...
me-moose.jpg

Oh well.. maybe next time!

Too bad it blends in so well with the background. Still, quite a story!

It was something... pretty cool actually! I am just glad he wasn't feeling aggressive.. they can be bad news. We had a huge bull Elk up in Estes Park a couple of weeks ago that was in the rut.. and he was making short charges at anyone dumb enough to get too close. One of the things I love about Colorado :)

Not a great pic.. but it was really harsh sun that day...
BullElk.jpg

Elk-2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back