Burglar proofing your home

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I was a latch-key kid (as in I got home before my parents got home from work), I constantly forgot my keys and had to get into the house without keys. I found that it was easy to find a partially-opened storm window that could be further opened to get in. I never had to break a window to get in.

Later when I was looking after the home of my wife's parents, I discovered a break-in. The approach was interesting. They got in, the same way, I did, through a window without breaking it. They then opened all the doors from the inside for a quick escape and one of the thieves watched the front driveway area. If anyone had returned unexpectedly, they would have escaped through the back door and over the back fence and through a former schoolyard.

So your first defence is to secure the doors. It is simple. If a guy is seen carrying something out the front door, he MAY appear to be legitimate but if the same guy is carrying it out through a broken window, then he is obviously a burglar. Now the internet pictures a young teen on a busy sidewalk in the afternoon going up to the front door of a house, using a "bump key" available from the net, and bumping it with a small rubber mallet to get into the house almost immediately. What seems scary for the owner is that there is NO evidence of burglary for insurance purposes and stolen jewellery for other valuables might not be immediately noticed, which makes claims even more difficult and hard to prove.

On further research on the net, you would find, that there are several different "bump keys" for each brand of lock, which means that the video was somewhat misleading. Yes, if you were in a "cookie-cutter" new subdivision with all doors having the same locks, it would indeed be possible. NO, however, if you have different houses with different locks in an older subdivision. Imagine a thief going up to your front door, reading the name of the lock and then taking 20 keys out of his pocket to try and figure out which model key with the help of a mallet will open the particular door, and remember he would need to have several keys for each brand of lock.

To slow down the thief even further is a "bump proof lock"...hard to get but they are available, or a further lock higher or lower on the door to prevent opening even with a bump key or making it hard to even kick in the door. A double cylinder lock will prevent opening the door EVEN FRON THE INSIDE without a key. The idea here is to eliminate escape routes and limit the time that a thief is going to spend inside. Carrying a large screen tv for example, out through the door is impossible if the door cannot be opened from the inside without a key that is not available.

Security film can also be put on windows making them almost impossible to be broken in. This would be ideal on a window near a door. Imagine a thief spending half and hour to break the window above the door. He reaches in to unlock the door, but it is a double cylinder lock and still requires a key. He can't get in.

On the outside area, the best approach is motion-activated lights that turn on when movement is detected over a large area and the lights turn on with a video camera/recorder that records onto a digital camera card.

Inside there are available cheap motion activated camera/recorders in normal items such as clocks, kleenex boxes, etc. even in HD quality video for good identification of the criminals.

As the saying goes, you cannot prevent someone from breaking in, if they are determined and/or professional, BUT most often you are dealing with teens/twenty year olds and if you get an image, even a pro can be caught.

Of course, it is necessary to also recognize the positives or negatives in your location. If you are on a busy corner or near a wealthy area with a strong neighbourhood watch program, then you are less likely to be victimized than if you are near a drug area, backing on a ravine, or hidden from your neighbours in terms of view.

A dog by the way, is also a major security plus, particularly a large dog that barks when he hears things closeby.

skieur

Interesting.... I had a house broken into twice in two weeks. The invasion of privacy is the hardest thing to get over. I promptly moved from the "cool, up and coming, artsy area" to an established family area where the police are very active and visible. That's probably the most effective thing. I know that all you have to do is be walking around my subdivision looking like you might not belong to get stopped or watched by the police. After that, I definitely agree with the double cylinder locks. I have them, and they probably saved my thousands of dollars at the old house since the thieves couldn't get the doors open to take the bigger stuff. Despite my safe area, I also have a full security system with cellular+battery, glassbreak sensors, motion sensor, and sensors built into my doors and windows vs the stick on ones that are easy to see. Totally worth the monthly charges for peace of mind.

-Get a good sized dog
-Trim bushes near the house close to windows and areas that are not lit.
-Turn on lights at night (front door)
-Motion sensor side lights etc.
-Get an alarm sign for the front lawn (does not mean you have to install an alarm)
-Get a safe and bolt it down into the concrete , store your important documents and guns here. Keep one where you can get to it:
Gunvault, GunVault Safe, Mini Gun Safes
-Let your neighbors know when you are going out of town so they can pick up paper etc. and keep an eye on place. (give them your cell #)
-I have a combination type lock on my front door that can be programmed for one time use etc. in case someone needs to come in.
-Do not leave the garage door opener on the visor of cars when you go out of town.
-If you let police know you are leaving area for a week they will drive by for you.
-
Shoot well and not just with a camera, practice at 7 paces on a 10" paper plate...Joe

I have 3 dogs, one of which is a 200lb english mastiff that barks like hell when you come to the front door (all 3 are locked in a closed in front porch area directly behind the front door). The best part is the 200lb mastiff isn't the one to worry about, I would be more concerned with the 70lb rotty mix, she is fast and strong, all that being said my house is also about 100 years old, floors creak like all hell so I don't worry about much at night because all 3 are scattered throughout the house. If someone were to get past ALL of that, then there is a 9mm waiting for them, but I don't hold much stock in the fact that I would ever need to worry about that.

I have 3 dogs, one of which is a 200lb english mastiff that barks like hell when you come to the front door (all 3 are locked in a closed in front porch area directly behind the front door). The best part is the 200lb mastiff isn't the one to worry about, I would be more concerned with the 70lb rotty mix, she is fast and strong, all that being said my house is also about 100 years old, floors creak like all hell so I don't worry about much at night because all 3 are scattered throughout the house. If someone were to get past ALL of that, then there is a 9mm waiting for them, but I don't hold much stock in the fact that I would ever need to worry about that.

I think that those dogs would give any thief a heart attack. Hand guns are illegal in Canada and not necessary in any event. I think that cheap covert/hidden video cameras are ideal. One dentist, I know, had his whole house cleaned out. With a covert video camera system he might have caught images of the perps.
A few months later, the same thieves cleaned out his cottage. I would bet that created problems for his insurance rates.

skieur

I just label everything with "free, take me" stickers.

haha that is hilarious. I bought a new washer and dryer one time. I had the old ones for a while and while they still worked I just wanted rid of them. I sat them out in front of my house with a big "FREE" sign on them. They sat there for three days and three nights. I then put a new sign on them. "$150 each both for $250" They were gone that night before 12 a.m.

exactly! And here I thought I was the only one who understands human behavior :D

Do you (Americans) think a poorly maintained lawn and a beat-up looking house will deter thieves from targeting your home?

When my cousin got a free bicycle from a lucky draw, the first thing my uncle did was to spray paint the entire bike with ugly poka dots so people won't be bothered to steal it. It worked, but she was pissed.

Do you (Americans) think a poorly maintained lawn and a beat-up looking house will deter thieves from targeting your home?

When my cousin got a free bicycle from a lucky draw, the first thing my uncle did was to spray paint the entire bike with ugly poka dots so people won't be bothered to steal it. It worked, but she was pissed.

Unfortunately no. A lot of the crime around here happens in the poor side of town. It has more to do with convenience than looks. If the house is where the thieves are and it looks easy to do without getting caught, being a little run down won't help a whole lot. Now, if you go into a neighborhood where all of the houses are way back off the street, dark, no dogs, then of course the thief will choose a nice one over a more rundown looking one. But, that is all else being equal.

Either your stuff is worthless or you have not dealt with insurance companies or the damage that can be caused by thieves.

skieur

Either your stuff is worthless or you have not dealt with insurance companies or the damage that can be caused by thieves.

skieur

Well if you take my gear for example then no, actually my stuff is worth robbing. I have dealt with many kinds of insurance companies, unfortunately. I have been robbed more than a few times, just to qualify.

My comment was a joke but based on factual human nature, nothing more.

I secure my perimeter. I use good judgement when it come to my valuables. I have everything insured for "replacement" value from a top tier Ins. company. I keep my receipts and I have photos. I don't lose sleep worrying about my stuff.

In Canada, insurance companies determine what your house is worth, replacement-wise and yet they can still come up with a difference of $1,000 or more on your premium for the same insurance. One insurance company was successfully sued for not paying claims for fires and instead accusing their customers of arson. RBC Insurance wanted to inflate their car insurance premium for a family because a member without a current driver's license and not on the policy had an accident 5 years ago.

My point is that unless you are dealing with insurance companies through a very good lawyer, I would not trust them as a solution to a burglary of your home.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back