Burning

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im wanting to start building a library of photo disc and am totally new to it. Im not sure exactly what kind of cd's that I need and what is the difference between a cd and dvd and is there a difference in quality? Thanks ahead in advance.

You can hold more pictures on a DVD.

Just get CD-R or DVD-R's, depending on what your computer has the capability to read/burn. The only difference is storage size. A CD-R gets you about 700mb where a DVD gets you 4gb. Why on disc? External hard drives are way cheap now and would save you a lot of time and physical space.

I agree w Sherman Banks. If you used CDs or DVDs you would need many discs. I don't think that is a good way to go. Imaging you are trying to find one picture and you are not sure which of the 20,000 CDs the picture is on. So you start randomly putting in what you think is about the correct CD in the tray and looked. No, it is not there. How many CDs are you willing to go through to look for your picture? 99? Just backup the pictures on an external harddisk is a better way to go. You can get a 1TB USB drive for about 100$.

most newer computers will burn anytype of cd or dvd.

years ago when i started with digital i used cd's, until i had a scanned negative that was too big and started with dvd's, since that time i have since switched to external hard drives as has been suggested. Cd's/dvd's can break down and need to be copied and replaced every few years and more importantly external drives are much faster which for me became an issue as i was making four copies and the time it took to copy 4 disk became more expensive and time comsuming than a hard drive.

Most reactions

Back