What's new

Burning

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
1,384
Reaction score
622
Location
British Columbia, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Burning by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Took the camera to work today. I also got a few ideas for a shot I want to try to take tomorrow.

In case you are wondering, I'm burning slash piles. The loggers pile up some of their scraps (tree tops, branches, and anything else not worth trucking to the mill) and at a later date we go light them up
 
Last edited:
aw, photo broken. and I love fire...
 
ok fixed it. not sure how I screwed up cutting and pasting from Flickr, but oh well, here it is.
 
I'm not sure about the composition of the photo, but you did a really good job of conveying heat. I can almost feel it emanating from my monitor.
 
thanks! I was actually afraid if I got much closer I would melt my camera. I think it would be wise to bring a 100mm lens next time (only brought a 50mm with me, everything ends up reeking of smoke and diesel so I left the bag behind)
 
I've found that the exact exposure give to coals and flames is very critical...too much exposure, and the flames look weird and pale orange-y and even sometimes getting that awful yellowish/overexposed look...too little exposure, and they don't look right either--coming off almost as if there is no heat, no flame, no fire. I thought this was a nifty picture, Steve! Pretty cool, the patterns on the burned log pieces, with all that charring and cracking in such interesting patterns. This picture has a lot of repetition, and pattern, and strong, strong lines in its design and composition. Cool beans! errr, I mean...Hot Stuff!
 
Now that I can see it, I like it. Interesting combination of the black charred sticks and those that are burning.

WesternGuy
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom