Business Card C&C Please

As a professional graphic designer my only advice is to hire a professional designer. Having the computer and the software doesn't mean you can achieve pro results... Just like having a D800 doesn't mean you can take amazing photos.

As a professional graphic designer my only advice is to hire a professional designer. Having the computer and the software doesn't mean you can achieve pro results... Just like having a D800 doesn't mean you can take amazing photos.

You my friend receive todays award for worst advice given "Thumbs Up".

Thanks but I actually think it's pretty good advice. In my opinion the foundation of a successful business card design is typography and that's not something you figure out and get right in a short period of time. It takes years of practice that only a professional can deliver. The images or icons or colors or whatever don't mean anything unless the type is spot-on.

Thanks but I actually think it's pretty good advice. In my opinion the foundation of a successful business card design is typography and that's not something you figure out and get right in a short period of time. It takes years of practice that only a professional can deliver. The images or icons or colors or whatever don't mean anything unless the type is spot-on.

Not worth my time... Make sure you give your horse a bath.

Not worth my time... Make sure you give your horse a bath.

Give my horse a bath??? Sorry friend I don't get that one but I'll assume it's derogatory in some fashion. I'll take the high road and pass on the obvious and easy comeback involving your sister/mother/girlfriend. Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios this morning... Enjoy the rest of your day. "Thumbs Up."

^Play nicely now!!!

Anyway

I make business cards professionally, and have sold many designs and helped people edit theirs this last year. I've actually asked some customers who are not design-savy and I've come to the conclusion that even the worst designs will still grab your attention if they're made right (and those who are not design savy will look at what I think is an awful card and think its amazing simply because they're not in the business). Some people can look at comic sans and think it's the greatest font out there simply because they don't know any better (I've actually had people REQUEST comic sans and it makes me want to cry). Customer's always right though, aren't they?

I think what can help this card is the way your text is arranged. Look for inspiration on the internet (I google business card designs all the time hoping something will give me an idea where to start). The bg image looks good how it is, just move your text around, play with different effects, try different fonts, etc etc. "AC Parson's Photogrpahy" doesn't need to be all on one line. Split it up, you can even put photography in a different font or italicize it.

And this is just my opinion but I HATE seeing bevel/emboss on cards. It's overused and I don't like how it looks unless it's done right and even then I'm still skeptical about it. My opinion and I'm sure many disagree with it, but what can you do!

Thanks for the input. I know I have poor design skills.

If you want to make some beautiful cards that are very simple regardless of your skillset, use Moo.com. I used them and I'm proud to say my cards are probably the nicest business cards I've ever seen. Even where my own design might falter, their materials are top notch and the cards feel incredible in the hand, if that makes any sense. I've had numerous people go to them after seeing mine.

Thanks for the advice all. This is what I went with. I deal with a lot of non English Speakers. Figured this would be easy to understand.
$Capture.JPG

Hire someone. Seriously. Go look for one of those micro outsourcing websites. You can find inexpensive and decent graphic designers to make you a nice card. Maybe cost you $200-300 for the design at most. You may even be able to freelance that in the US for around that price. Well worth it.

I had a GD design my card after SO many train wreck attempts on my part, and I'm super happy that I did.

buscardfront_sm.jpg

buscardback_sm.jpg

Most reactions

Back