Business License Advice

JaclynDavisPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed at Fort Benning so my business licenses are filed in the city, state, county that we live in. However, I am staying with family in Ohio for about 5 months. My question is should leave my licenses the way they are or should I also look into getting licenses in the area I am staying?... even though Ill only be here for 5 months. I dont want to be doing any shady business.

If you are diong business in Ohio then you most likely need a license to work there even if you are licensed in another state.

This link should lead you in the right direction.
Ohio Business Gateway | Starting a Business

Pay attention to the first one that starts with...
"This page is intended to serve people who have decided to start a new business in Ohio or expand an existing business into Ohio "

My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed at Fort Benning so my business licenses are filed in the city, state, county that we live in. However, I am staying with family in Ohio for about 5 months. My question is should leave my licenses the way they are or should I also look into getting licenses in the area I am staying?... even though Ill only be here for 5 months. I dont want to be doing any shady business.
I can't imagine anyone in Ohio caring about a woman with a camera making a few bucks for a couple months. I wouldn't worry about it. They're probably talking about real businesses expanding permanently.

I can't imagine anyone in Ohio caring about a woman with a camera making a few bucks for a couple months. I wouldn't worry about it. They're probably talking about real businesses expanding permanently.

BAD advice.

REALLY BAD

However, you are registered as a business and if you are doing on location work you would use your business info that you currently have. The sticky part is how long you are on location.
I'd consult with the local SBA, an accountant, JAG? JAG can be wishy washy with info on stuff like this, but if you press they'll get it for you. Especially with your spouse deploying.

Sure, you can say its bad, but it's realistic. Temporarily moving home for a few months, how much biz are you going to get? Seriously, it isn't worth the trouble. I gar-ran-tee it. It's a MWC. It's a Craigslist situation . This is not Google doing biz in Ohio for 5 months.

Doesn't matter. I live in KY about 20 minutes from the TN border. If I want to do a location shoot in TN, I HAVE to have a license to conduct business there and i won't be living there for ANY amount of time. If you don't mind the consequences of getting busted by the IRS, then why even have a business license to begin with?

Be sure and check with your insurance agent too to make sure your business liability insurance coverage actually covers your business when working out of state.

Ohio will also likely want their fair share of sales, use, and income taxes too.

Most reactions

Back