What's new

Busy , dizzy , a lot going on here .

Way too busy, complete visual chaos.

Have you HDRed this? This image desperately needs some deep shadows to bury some of the confusion.

It's a nice stairwell, though. This photograph is almost irresistible, one cannot NOT take a picture either up or down a stairwell, and they're mostly crap because the stairwell ain't all that. This is a pretty good stairwell, though. I like the various angles here, it gives is a very Escheresque feel, which is enhanced by the pencil-sketch feel of it. I don't know if you obliterated the light with HDR, or if the thing is just very very evenly lit throughout, but you've definitely nailed a pencil-drawing-no-directional-light feel.

I approve of the look, I approve of the subject. This one's just too damn much!

Maybe if it were printed huge?
 
amolitor,

Thanks for your comments and insights . I snapped this single exposure maybe 6 months ago with my little Lumix lx5 . Was visiting a friend a running out to dinner after a few glasses of wine . His new house , hence new to him stairway .

I was cleaning out computer today and came across this in the trash bin , for some reason today i liked it , HAHA.. I'm a total rookie who probably knows just enough to be dangerous .


I shot it raw and ran it through Silver efex , played with the sliders a bit and probably just lost interest and trashed it .

Here is original SOOC just converted to jpeg for posting . As you can see not a very strong image to begin with , I do agree with you in that what attracted me initially was the angles and dangles .

If you want to give it a shot , by all means . Thanks again for your insight as well as approving for the look as well as the subject . BTW i have no idea what pencil-sketch is , I imagine it a PS process ? Have a good one .




untitled-18 by mannyher1, on Flickr
 
By a "pencil sketch" I just meant a drawing make with a pencil!

If you do a web search for "M C Escher" you will find a lot of art that looks quite similar to your original rendering. I don't know if he actually made his drawings with a pencil, but they look that way to me. I think of them as made with a pencil, even if they are not!

Your rendering is much much stronger than the original image, so, well done.

Here's a concept:

a little reversed S-curve applied to contrast to flatten the scene out a little (open up the shadows, bring down the highlights, make it "more bland and flat") which takes away a lot of the busy-ness and chaos, but make the image dull as anything. Then burn radically to create a completely different sense of the light:
 

Attachments

  • $foo.webp
    $foo.webp
    145.2 KB · Views: 141
Different sense of light is right !!!!! That is pretty freaking cool !!!! HA , and you did that in maybe 10 seconds flat !!! Well I'm going to go ahead and take the raw image and follow your lead , play around some more and try and learn.

HA . Incredible what a difference that makes . Thanks again .
 
I tend to solve problems with a pretty blunt tool ;)

"It's too busy"
"Make most of it black!"
 
I tend to solve problems with a pretty blunt tool ;)

"It's too busy"
"Make most of it black!"


HAHA, Yea I've fixed many a things with a hammer in my lifetime ! Usually to my wife's disdain ! haha
 
I like the OP image, but I also prefer amolitor's edit, as it takes the caos out of the equiation... now, if only I could get rid of the vertigo I am now feeling...
 
I like the OP image, but I also prefer amolitor's edit, as it takes the caos out of the equiation... now, if only I could get rid of the vertigo I am now feeling...

Thanks , yea sorry about the vertigo !!! lol
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom