But I'm not a pro?

I've seen high school parents taking pic of their kids with gear that would make a pro envious.
Worse when their kids carry it around at a sport game. That freaked me out. A HS kid carrying almost $10k of camera gear :eek:
But then look at the student parking lot; Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, etc.
Some of these parents have MONEY.

So I agree. Pro gear does NOT mean you are a pro.

The good side of this is you got photos of the event. I had i pro wedding photographer cop a strop because I was photographing a friends wedding.
Instead of asking if I could move, he tried telling me I could not photograph at the wedding he bumped me a few times as I was taking photos. At the time I said and did nothing did not want to spoil friends big day.
Months later I was doing a three church set of pics and he turned up. Same hassle, well until I made it clear that this time I was not going to put up with being bullied...

I've seen high school parents taking pic of their kids with gear that would make a pro envious.

Yes, I'm sure this happens but I'll be honest, I've never seen it!
As part of one of my jobs(I'm involved in education) I attend a lot of school events at all levels, from sports to band reviews and in the 8 years I've been involved I have never seen a parent or a student with what I would consider pro gear.
Yes I've seen things like a a Canon 6D or something but rarely with an L lens.
I also attend at least 10 graduations every year and can tell you I've NEVER seen the people taking the Grad receiving their diploma pics using pro gear!!
Maybe in Los Altos Hills or Hillsborough every parent owns an ARRI video camera!!!
SS

As part of one of my jobs(I'm involved in education) I attend a lot of school events at all levels, from sports to band reviews and in the 8 years I've been involved I have never seen a parent or a student with what I would consider pro gear.
I also attend at least 10 graduations every year and can tell you I've NEVER seen the people taking the Grad receiving their diploma pics using pro gear!!
Maybe in Los Altos Hills or Hillsborough every parent owns an ARRI video camera!!!
SS

I am the volunteer/unpaid yearbook photo advisor at High School in a NOT affluent city, in comparison to Atherton, Los Altos Hills, Woodside or Hillborough.

When I saw those cameras/lenses, I was surprised. Usually at the various sport games.
At graduation, I am up front, so I cannot see what the parents behind me are using.​
The yearbook advisor told me, just look at the student parking lot: BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, etc. Some of the kids are driving cars way more expensive than mine, and they are teenagers. Some/many (but not all) of the parents have MONEY.

SS

I am the volunteer/unpaid yearbook photo advisor at High School in a NOT affluent city, in comparison to Atherton, Los Altos Hills, Woodside or Hillborough.

When I saw those cameras/lenses, I was surprised. Usually at the various sport games.
At graduation, I am up front, so I cannot see what the parents behind me are using.​
The yearbook advisor told me, just look at the student parking lot: BMW, Mercedes, Tesla, etc. Some of the kids are driving cars way more expensive than mine, and they are teenagers. Some/many (but not all) of the parents have MONEY.
We have one high school that’s pretty affluent the others are not.
I agree on the parking lots. Compare the student lots to the faculty lots and there can be some pretty nice cars in the student lot.

SS

Hey I definitely agree with the parking lots. The faculty lots are filled with cars of teachers trying to make a living and the student lots often have way nicer cars than the teachers!
All the kids drive better cars than I do!!! LoL
I have a customer that has 3 kids at Justin Sienna HS, one of the local parochial schools where tuition is $50K a year per kid!!! Thats$150K just to go to High School! I haven’t seen their cameras! LoL
SS

It was odd the way he said it? I'm 6'7 and 245 lbs, so most people think twice about giving me attitude.
Rofl. Chill out.

I was at a wedding last weekend and I was paying attention to the team of photographers shooting it. There were two gals who where using 5D mark4's with power banks and a whole slew of L lenses. As the sun was setting they had this singular 3" round LED mounted on a tall tripod. Maybe 8 or 9 ft high. They moved it around and didn't switch to flashes until after the ceremony and it was totally dark. They seem to cover the event well, but they brought in a drone crew to for that perspective. The buzzing over head was annoying and making it hard to hear what they were saying. The mother of the bribe stood up, turned and looked at the photographer, pointed at the drone, and ran her finger quickly across her neck giving the 'Cut It Now' signal. That was too funny. Even though I'm an amateur, I do pay attention to the setting, available light and think about how I would shoot it. The brides mom did tell us that she' used the photographer before and that she does excellent work. The wedding must have cost $100k plus. They rented a gated mansion on a hill with security guards.
For now I'm the king of the beach, taking good quality surfing pictures of my friends who are grateful to have them. I that setting, everyone wants to be my friend:)

According to traditional view and dictionary definition
A pro is someone who earns 100% from there , insert, photography.
Pro, membership of various guilds etc does not always mean they are good at what they do.

No it doesn't.

Def:

'engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.'

I've encountered many 'professionals' who are hopeless at what they do. They still get paid, therefore they are 'professionals'.

Being a "profesional photographer" is EASILY faked if you take the time, and have the correct lack of morals and an insufficient charecter.

I have seen quite a few "up coming professional photographers" from EUROPE who have done the simple route and faked their way into photography as a professional. This is what they did.

1. got camera gear, took some photos. Got prints developed.

2. rented a small store front and hung prints up on the wall

3. advertised the small "photo exhibit". opened it for a few weekends. And then following month relocated to a different spot in town.

4. Get on instagram and twitter. post some photos. Mention their successful exhibits.

5. Have friends, or create fake accounts, and give praise of the wonderful work in those exhibits.

6. befriend various people on twitter and instagram that have 10,000+ followers and start application of their lips to those peoples "bottoms".

6.a after a time those people with freshly suctioned "bottoms" will usually give nice comments on that persons instagram photos.

7. kick back, youve become a professional photographer.

Although selling a self published photo book REALLY does increase the speed fo becoming a professional.

Being a "profesional photographer" is EASILY faked if you take the time, and have the correct lack of morals and an insufficient charecter.

I have seen quite a few "up coming professional photographers" from EUROPE who have done the simple route and faked their way into photography as a professional. This is what they did.

3. advertised the small "photo exhibit". opened it for a few weekends. And then following month relocated to a different spot in town.

4. Get on instagram and twitter. post some photos. Mention their successful exhibits.

5. Have friends, or create fake accounts, and give praise of the wonderful work in those exhibits.

6. befriend various people on twitter and instagram that have 10,000+ followers and start application of their lips to those peoples "bottoms".

6.a after a time those people with freshly suctioned "bottoms" will usually give nice comments on that persons instagram photos.

Although selling a self published photo book REALLY does increase the speed fo becoming a professional.

LoL, LoL , LoL...., Tball, I can't laugh loud enough!!!
You're kidding right??? PLEASE tell me your making all of that up?! LoL
And you've seen, "quite a few"...., I''m STILL laughing!
I will say, anybody who goes through THAT much expense and effort should automatically be a pro!
It doesn't really matter because on a Forum(the internet), anybody can be anything they want to be.
Just have really nice cards made up and hand them out. Eventually someone is gonna ask to hire ya..., just tell them you're fully booked for ten years out to keep your cover intact!!! LoL
SS

I will say, anybody who goes through THAT much expense and effort should automatically be a pro!
It doesn't really matter because on a Forum(the internet), anybody can be anything they want to be.
Just have really nice cards made up and hand them out. Eventually someone is gonna ask to hire ya..., just tell them you're fully booked for ten years out to keep your cover intact!!! LoL
SS

Sadly I am NOT making that up. I have left out SOME steps, such as joining in various anti male political groups, or joining the drug culture in major cities, or becoming a member of the gay/oddball movements in major cities.

Those are the realities i discovered this winter when i came across
lomography.com and its "magazine" of free self advertisement.

I was looking for several things when that site popped up, i was trying to see what i was missing when it came to finding models that did not flake out, or models that turned out to be prostitutes with a photo twist.

After the shock of seeing so many BAD photographic images, i started looking at the websites of these "up and coming photographic super stars" and "trending photographers of the new age" that I saw all of those hall marks popping up in those peoples biographies.

The suggestion to simply print up fancy business cars to hand out like a politician handing out promises on November 1st, is more honest, moral, and ethical then what the majority of them have done.

I dare any of you to spend 5 hours, and go through their magazine and try to find more then one image per "article" that is properly exposed at bare minimum. Or even in proper focus....

One could make an interesting drinking game for a college frat..

SS

Sadly I am NOT making that up. I have left out SOME steps, such as joining in various anti male political groups, or joining the drug culture in major cities, or becoming a member of the gay/oddball movements in major cities.

I was looking for several things when that site popped up, i was trying to see what i was missing when it came to finding models that did not flake out, or models that turned out to be prostitutes with a photo twist.

After the shock of seeing so many BAD photographic images, i started looking at the websites of these "up and coming photographic super stars" and "trending photographers of the new age" that I saw all of those hall marks popping up in those peoples biographies.

The suggestion to simply print up fancy business cars to hand out like a politician handing out promises on November 1st, is more honest, moral, and ethical then what the majority of them have done.

I dare any of you to spend 5 hours, and go through their magazine and try to find more then one image per "article" that is properly exposed at bare minimum. Or even in proper focus....

You seem overly concerned about what other people are doing. Who cares if someone who is untalented (in your opinion) calls themselves a pro? There’s really no big payoff in the title. If they open a gallery and have a show and you don’t like their work, don’t go. It’s easy to criticize. I give anyone who puts their work out there for people to see a lot of credit. Especially with all the negativity that’s out there.

SS

You seem overly concerned about what other people are doing. Who cares if someone who is untalented (in your opinion) calls themselves a pro? There’s really no big payoff in the title. If they open a gallery and have a show and you don’t like their work, don’t go. It’s easy to criticize. I give anyone who puts their work out there for people to see a lot of credit. Especially with all the negativity that’s out there.

You are overlooking the fact that doing a few fake gallery showings, sucking up to someones retail website (lomography.com), using a few of their products, and partaking in some political group will make you an instant PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER, regardless of how good or bad your photographs are.

Seriously on that website, in their little magazine, MOST of the photos they show as being carefully selected to show the best use of their film, are what photographic books used to show as "things to avoid", "this means you took a bad photo" "you used bad film" you need to learn how to develop film or find a company that can do it correctly"

i thought being professional meant you were making money doing that skill/job/profession, regardless of skill. it's kinda hard to fake making money, you're either making it or you aren't.

for example, all of my dispatchers at work are professional dispatchers. but not all of them get a good annual evaluation.

honestly, i don't care what people call themselves. as a photographer i'm only responsible for myself. calling myself a professional or a hobbyist doesn't influence your photography at all.

if you want to get some camera gear, take photos, make prints and put on a gallery showing using your own artwork then i don't see how it can be fake, even if no one shows. or even if you pack it all up after a few weeks and move to a new location. now if you're stealing someone's photos and using them as your own then i'd be more inclined to agree with the fakery, regardless of how many people attend the gallery showing.

if their work is truly horrendous and nobody supports them then they'll go out of business, just like professionals do in every profession.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back