Butcher Block C&C

MrRamonG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Dad made my wife and I a butcher block out of an old sewing machine stand. What do you think of the pics?

26911_1147195260384_1842647309_281055_235172_n.jpg

26911_1147195180382_1842647309_281053_684624_n.jpg

26911_1147195300385_1842647309_281056_3630451_n.jpg

I just realized something... I call this a butcher block but I'm not choppin meat in any of the pics..... got to get choice cut of meat on here.

For one: clever idea! And well done!

And I like the soft, even light in all these photos.
In the second I would have preferred to see all of the bottle. The still life is lovely. Only the door knob bugs me a little.

Once again I agree with LaFoto, the doorknob needs to go and the top of the bottle needs to be seen.

Thanks for the input. I may try to re-crop it to include the whole wine bottle on shot 2. Think I will also clone out the door knob and frame.

Was wondering why you had a cutting board on top of a "cutting" block.
Nice shots though.

I generally don't get involved with much c/c because of my struggle to understand the medium fully, that said here are my thoughts. The first shot would work fine in a brochure describing the top block as this is where the focus seems to be. The second shot....The door knob is a distraction, if I'm shooting this, it's either reposition the camera, set/subject or bring in the backdrop. The top of the bottle needs to be included so the eye can tell the brain there's no problem...It's complete. If your'e not going to show the legs on the table, then lose them altogether, as it is they are distracting.
The third shot needs something definite to focus on. What's the shot about? Is it the wine? Is it the vegetables, the stove or kettle? Perhaps it's the entirety of the scene itself? I know it's the table you are displaying but if you hadn't told me that? I agree with LF on the light. Cheers...Hope my input helps

Removed the door knob but I think that created too much dead space. I tried to add some texture but nothing seemd to work. here is the result.
4418678153_5fd45dcde9.jpg

Last edited:
Was wondering why you had a cutting board on top of a "cutting" block.
Nice shots though.

THe block is so nice I don't want to ruin it... I know, ridiculous. Got to get some meat on there and just start chopping away... get it over with.

I really think you need some off camera flashes/lighting for shots like this. If you want magazine quality.

I really think you need some off camera flashes/lighting for shots like this. If you want magazine quality.

I did use an off camera flash. :thumbup: I had an SB 600. You can clearly see the effects of it in the first pic. It had a diffuser on, was left, on the ground, and pointing straight up. The kitchen is small and white..... errr.... off white.

In the third pic you can see the effects of the off camera flash on the bowl. It had a diffuser on, was right, on the ground, and pointing away, using the white dish washer as a reflector.

I did not use it on the second shot. instead Iused a long shutter speed to capture the natural light coming in from the window.

All shots were taken from a tripod.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back