Butterfly

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

Took it on my last trip to the Iguazú Falls with my 28-300mm. First time I manage to take an isolated picture of a butterfly I like. Unfortunately, don't have a macro lens and the minimal distance at which this lens will focus is about 20 inches, but it seems to work pretty good for 'macro' shoots when you use it at 300mm at the widest aperture possible at this end (f/5.6).

I'll probably try to get a set of extension tubes soon. Had the chance to play with them a couple of days ago and it's incredible! :thumbup:

Any critique or comment will be most welcomed!

#1 by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Have a nice day!

Regards,
LizardKing

Nicely composed and exposed. As for me, I haven't seen a butterfly yet this year.

I have a set of Kenko tubes, and just love 'em.

When I saw the title of your thread I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. I like this shot a LOT.

Jerry

Amazing job! I really like it. If I were to dig for something negative to say, it looks like the flowers are ever so slightly soft. I would like to see them sharper. But I would buy this picture. I’m envious.

Thank you all!
Yes, I'd like the flowers to be a littler sharper too... I'll try to improve it a little in PP and see how it goes!

As for the extension tubes, I'll probably go with some Kenko. Seems to be the best around.

Regards,
LizardKing

Nice shot! The 28-300 is a nice lens... no matter what the detractors say! Very versatile! ;)

Greybeard, I looked at your suggested crop, and it becomes a close up of a Butterfly. The original is just so much more. It's a pleasing, uncrowded macro image of nature up close and personal.

Greybeard, I looked at your suggested crop, and it becomes a close up of a Butterfly. The original is just so much more. It's a pleasing, uncrowded macro image of nature up close and personal.

And I agree, there is often more than one picture within a picture is my meaning, not that my suggestion was any better.

Last edited:

And I agree, there is often more than one picture within a picture is my meaning, not that my suggestion was any better.

I completely agree with your assessment. If we all looked at everything the same way, and did the same thing, boy would life be boring.

Nice shot! The 28-300 is a nice lens... no matter what the detractors say! Very versatile! ;)

I'm nothing but a newbie to photography, but couldn't be happier with this lens. I appreciate your recommendation on this one :thumbup:

I completely agree with your assessment. If we all looked at everything the same way, and did the same thing, boy would life be boring.

That's a good crop Greybeard, thank you for taking the time. Tried one like that, but prefered to go with the original picture as it is... :thumbup:
Here's a close-up from another butterfly that took that same day. Unfortunately, the top of the wings is a little OOF, but I hope you like it as well :)

#2 by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Regards,
LizardKing

I'm nothing but a newbie to photography, but couldn't be happier with this lens. I appreciate your recommendation on this one :thumbup:

That's a good crop Greybeard, thank you for taking the time. Tried one like that, but prefered to go with the original picture as it is... :thumbup:
Here's a close-up from another butterfly that took that same day. Unfortunately, the top of the wings is a little OOF, but I hope you like it as well :)

#2 by Lizard.King, on Flickr

Regards,
LizardKing

I like it.

Most reactions

Back