Butterflye, Not Flying.

Peach Comma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ablindgirl.tripod.com
266322butterfly.jpg

nice capture of most of the bug, would like to have seen the whole thing. Seems a little too far to the right (thirds rule?)

Peach Comma said:
Algoessailing said:
nice capture of most of the bug, would like to have seen the whole thing. Seems a little too far to the right (thirds rule?)

f*** the thirds rule.

Huh? :scratch: Perhaps you should refrain from posting in the critique section, if you really are just looking for an attaboy. Rule of thirds or not, the butterfly is cut out of the frame, and the poster above would like to have seen it, and simply commented.

Cool pic. Does it for me.

the wing... it can be said that it draws attention to the butterfly

terri said:
Peach Comma said:
Algoessailing said:

f*** the thirds rule.

Huh? :scratch: Perhaps you should refrain from posting in the critique section, if you really are just looking for an attaboy. Rule of thirds or not, the butterfly is cut out of the frame, and the poster above would like to have seen it, and simply commented.

The ol' butterfly there was stuck in a window, so I couldn't have shown the whole thing. But seriously, **** the thirds rule.

Peach Comma said:
terri said:
Peach Comma said:
Algoessailing said:

f*** the thirds rule.

The ol' butterfly there was stuck in a window, so I couldn't have shown the whole thing. But seriously, f*** the thirds rule.

But sreiously,take terri's advice.

Picksure said:
Peach Comma said:
terri said:
Peach Comma said:
Algoessailing said:

f*** the thirds rule.

The ol' butterfly there was stuck in a window, so I couldn't have shown the whole thing. But seriously, f*** the thirds rule.

But sreiously,take terri's advice.

Lol, you said what I said.

This is a really fine snapshot.
But since you requested critique....The butterfly is flying out of the frame. There's no meaningful information on the left side and 2/3'rds of the left side needs to be cropped off (too much empty space). There's a serious loss of detail in the under-exposed portion of the butterfly.

IMHO, a picture without composition (rule of thirds, golden rectangle, repeating forms and objects, etc) will rarely ever be considered as anything other than a snapshot.

Since most of the picture is white, you can easily pull the area of the butterfly and the area to the left closer to eachother. That could make the composition more satisfying.

Though, I love snapshots personally, so it's fine the way it is by me!

We don't take too kindly to swearing when someone gives you an opinion. Please refrain from it in the future. When you post in the critique gallery you are asking for opinions, many times they won't be what you wanted. That's why you're in this gallery, to get advice, good or bad.

Just my opinion of course.

Ahh, youthful enthusiasm: The foundation of dreams…
Let me start by saying I took no offense to the above words of wisdom by Peach Comma. But I do understand the other’s responses in order to preserve the integrity of this forum. That being said, please allow my own thoughts:
There are rules in everything we do, and that includes art. More importantly, the rules are there for a reason. We have a rule that states you must stop at a stop sign. Failure to follow this rule rarely has any consequences, but could end in injury or death. The absurdity of the comparison is the point. Though we might not like or agree with the rules they still must be adhered to, no matter how insignificant they seem, unless you intend to please a very small audience. The number of photos you post here tells me you want to please many, thus the need for adherence. We could argue all day about the thirds rule and this particular image, but that would be pointless. Don’t negate a rule just because it’s a rule. True genius is not the offspring of martyrs and disobedients, but of creativity and imagination. I enjoy many of your pictures, and have absolutely no critique of some, either exposure or composition, and would never want to take away your artistic freedom. But don’t be surprised if the masses don’t follow lock step. When the police man gives you a ticket for running the stop sign, don’t protest that it’s a stupid rule, pay the fine and find a road without stop signs: chances are it will be less traveled.

Algoessailing said:
Ahh, youthful enthusiasm: The foundation of dreams…
Let me start by saying I took no offense to the above words of wisdom by Peach Comma. But I do understand the other’s responses in order to preserve the integrity of this forum. That being said, please allow my own thoughts:
There are rules in everything we do, and that includes art. More importantly, the rules are there for a reason. We have a rule that states you must stop at a stop sign. Failure to follow this rule rarely has any consequences, but could end in injury or death. The absurdity of the comparison is the point. Though we might not like or agree with the rules they still must be adhered to, no matter how insignificant they seem, unless you intend to please a very small audience. The number of photos you post here tells me you want to please many, thus the need for adherence. We could argue all day about the thirds rule and this particular image, but that would be pointless. Don’t negate a rule just because it’s a rule. True genius is not the offspring of martyrs and disobedients, but of creativity and imagination. I enjoy many of your pictures, and have absolutely no critique of some, either exposure or composition, and would never want to take away your artistic freedom. But don’t be surprised if the masses don’t follow lock step. When the police man gives you a ticket for running the stop sign, don’t protest that it’s a stupid rule, pay the fine and find a road without stop signs: chances are it will be less traveled.

Well said!! You have the wisdom of a sage! Your critique of my submissions will be very important to me.

Most reactions

Back