Buy a D800e with high shutter count

Ian Mitchell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think about buying a D800E with a high shutter count. The one I am looking at has around 150,000 which is a whole lot but it is a very nice price at $1,550. It is in very good condition cosmetically.

Thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
or

your number is messed up

I assume you mean 150,000, which is, IIRC, the life-expectancy for that shutter. Assuming that it craps out the day after you buy it, add the price of a new shutter to your $1,550 (~$450); is it still a good price? Mehhh.... I'd think twice.

or

your number is messed up
Yeah, it is 150,000.

I assume you mean 150,000, which is, IIRC, the life-expectancy for that shutter. Assuming that it craps out the day after you buy it, add the price of a new shutter to your $1,550 (~$450); is it still a good price? Mehhh.... I'd think twice.
I figured a new shutter costs around $250 but I'm not sure. Definitely, something to keep in mind either way.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think about buying a D800E with a high shutter count. The one I am looking at has around 150,000 which is a whole lot but it is a very nice price at $1,550. It is in very good condition cosmetically.

Thanks,
Ian
1550$ for this specific camera ?
NO!

Go and get yourself a NEW D610, you will buy a new camera and a peace of mind knowing you have a fantastic camera with warranty.
Don't dare to think the fact the D610 is Nikon's entry level camera it is not a serious camera, IT IS!!!
The D810 main advantage of amazing DR and Shadow recovery is only in basic ISO, when the ISO starts going up it is about the same as the D610 and the D610 actually has slightly better low light performance.

I wouldn't

KEH has them for a few bucks more and most likely unless the shutter count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Thanks,
Ian
NO!

Go and get yourself a NEW D610, you will buy a new camera and a peace of mind knowing you have a fantastic camera with warranty.
Don't dare to think the fact the D610 is Nikon's entry level camera it is not a serious camera, IT IS!!!
The D810 main advantage of amazing DR and Shadow recovery is only in basic ISO, when the ISO starts going up it is about the same as the D610 and the D610 actually has slightly better low light performance.

I have a D5200 now and I'm not sure I could justify that jump. This is partly due to my love for the D800/D800E.

I wouldn't

KEH has them for a few bucks more and most likely unless the shutter count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they have a pretty good deal. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind. I should be able to get a used D800/D800E for not much higher of a price with a much lower shutter count generally around 10K or less.

Hello,

Thanks,
Ian
NO!

I have a D5200 now and I'm not sure I could justify that jump. This is partly due to my love for the D800/D800E.

When it comes to the matters of the heart then my advice is follow your heart and dont compromise till you get your dream.
A used D800 for around 1600$ is not a dream goal, I am sure if you will look hard enough you will find what you are looking for with a much better shutter count.

Good luck :)

Nikon Imaging Products Still image shooting functions - Nikon D800 D800E
The D800/D800E's shutter unit has been tested to well over 200,000 cycles of release to prove durability and precision.
Yeah, that's why I was worried because the camera was reaching that number. I know that number is just an estimate but still something to keep in mind.

Hello,

Thanks,
Ian
NO!

When it comes to the matters of the heart then my advice is follow your heart and dont compromise till you get your dream.
A used D800 for around 1600$ is not a dream goal, I am sure if you will look hard enough you will find what you are looking for with a much better shutter count.

Good luck :)
Thanks for the support man!

1995 Honda Civic with 287,458 miles on it for $1,600. Good deal? Or not?

Your D800e with 150,000 actuations is about the same. Now...if the guy was asking $1100 for it, it'd be a definite yes.

Check with adorama. They will give you shutter count. My D800 only had 5k shutter count. My D300, not even 4k.

I was wondering what you guys think about buying a D800E with a high shutter count. The one I am looking at has around 150,000 which is a whole lot but it is a very nice price at $1,550.
High shutter counts are never good offers, unless they really removed the price for a new shutter from a compareable offer with low shutter count.

or

your number is messed

He said 150,000, it could go another 150,000 who knows, only you can decide to buy it or not. Talk the guy down a few hundred and put it away for a shutter down the road.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back