Buy D750 on sale or wait for the D400/500?

why not rent a d7200 and try it out? Rentals are fairly cheap for a few days and it's certainly less of a pain if you decide you don't like it. I rented a bunch of stuff from lensprotogo for my trip to Utah and they were great to work with

Thom Hogan has speculated that Nikon might name its next high-end mid-level camera the D9000, not the D400/D5000, which seems like a real possibility. February 2016 is the month I would wait for until I made any kind of a "move" on new Nikon gear.

why not rent a d7200 and try it out? Rentals are fairly cheap for a few days and it's certainly less of a pain if you decide you don't like it. I rented a bunch of stuff from lensprotogo for my trip to Utah and they were great to work with

Not so easy where I live - 600km round trip ... but it sounds like a good idea if I want to get one. Drive there, spend the day shooting, take it back, drive home to look at the images.

Thom Hogan has speculated that Nikon might name its next high-end mid-level camera the D9000, not the D400/D5000, which seems like a real possibility. February 2016 is the month I would wait for until I made any kind of a "move" on new Nikon gear.

Good advice - I think I'm now prepared to wait until March.
If no new releases, I will rent/try/buy the D7200 and use it until that gets updated.

The rental places online ship the camera to you, then you ship it back once you're done

The rental places online ship the camera to you, then you ship it back once you're done
Have you guessed that I've never rented before!!! :chuncky:

Thanks for the info - much appreciated

d500 is looking good! I didn't expect them to release anything like this so soon. Specs look like it'll be a solid camera, definitely curious to see how this performs

d500 is looking good! I didn't expect them to release anything like this so soon. Specs look like it'll be a solid camera, definitely curious to see how this performs
I am VERY excited about this camera, just the thought we (Nikon fans and of course Nikon LOL) have potentially the BEST APS-C camera in the world already makes me happy but to be honest I wouldn't replace it with my D750, its still DX and a sports camera, for me personally I like more portraits, landscape and easy walks in the park so I am happy with what I have, it matches my needs and character much better.

BTW I dont know if anyone paid attention to it but apparently the D500 has some technology that is only in the Samsung NX1, I wonder if there is truth after all in all the talk of Nikon taking over Samsung camera division.......hmmmm :confused-72:

i-5hPvzdT-S.jpg

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just pre-ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i-5hPvzdT-S.jpg

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just pre-ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, you didnt wait too long did you :)

Looks like coastalconn was half right when he wrote, " If you are waiting for a D400, dont! It will probably never appear. I gave up in April and switched to Canon (but I'm a bird guy) Nikon just does not (or can't) address the needs of a high speed dx camera."

Right about them not releasing a D400, but apparently it would seem, not right about their ability to create a high-speed DX format camera.

This camera's rollout might, and I stress might, be a biggie for Nikon. My sense is that the camera market and the serious enthusiast shooters who'd like a camera like this, have declined greatly in number since the 2007-1010 era. The serious camera market has been losing steam for some time now. I just sense that today, early 2016, there are a looooooooot fewer 'serious' enthusiasts who need what this machine can offer. I might be wrong though. Would not be the first time, will not be the last time either.

Looks like coastalconn was half right when he wrote, " If you are waiting for a D400, dont! It will probably never appear. I gave up in April and switched to Canon (but I'm a bird guy) Nikon just does not (or can't) address the needs of a high speed dx camera."

Right about them not releasing a D400, but apparently it would seem, not right about their ability to create a high-speed DX format camera.

This camera's rollout might, and I stress might, be a biggie for Nikon. My sense is that the camera market and the serious enthusiast shooters who'd like a camera like this, have declined greatly in number since the 2007-1010 era. The serious camera market has been losing steam for some time now. I just sense that today, early 2016, there are a looooooooot fewer 'serious' enthusiasts who need what this machine can offer. I might be wrong though. Would not be the first time, will not be the last time either.
Well here is the problem Derrel, cameras like the D7200 is already an excellent camera, its got top notch AF system, bigger buffer, 6 or 7FPS (depends of mode) and amazing sensor, I think many people who shoot wildlife and sports can get most of what they want with this camera which cost about half what the D500 does.
Sure if you shoot only sports or wildlife and maybe even get paid then the D500 is right for you but not a lot of people are so committed.
For the average shooter this camera will be a huge waste of money.
If I was only starting photography now I would rather get the D7200 and spend 1000$ on lenses then get the D500 with a basic kit lens.

We've reached the point of what some observers call "sufficiency" in the mid- and higher-level cameras, for the needs of most people, for most of their photographic needs. But there still exists at least some segment of the camera-buying population that wants to have a camera, or a camera/lens pairing that brings as many advantages and capabilities as is possible.

I remember the time when Nikon pro cameras had 2.7 megapixel sensors. I bought both models, the D1 and D1h, used, and they were good cameras in their era, but the D2 series had vastly improved autofocusing capabilities, and an extraordinarily better, smaller, lighte battery, one that could shoot 3,500 frames, or more on a single charge: the D1 cameras were huge battery hogs, and you needed three batteries per day to be safe.

There's always a segment of people who want to be on the cutting edge. I think the 200-frame RAW buffer, in 14-bit capture mode, could be a huge positive for people who want to keep shooting when important action actually is happening in front of the camera...coastalconn's osprey dives, fish-capture action, and then subsequent take-off and fly-off with the captured fish: there's a really great example of when a 200-frame, full bit depth buffer (200 shots!) could be of HUGE value.

I have been working on a 29-frame RAW buffer with the D2x since 2005, and a 29-frame buffer on the D3x since mid-2013...occasionally, I hit that buffer limit. For somebody who has been using say the D7100 for wildlife--that camera gives what is it in full raw mode? ONE second's worth of firing? The D7200 is better....but again...it's a high-level consumer body, with all that entails. I agree, for most people a D5 or D500 is overkill, but there are also people who'll get some good use out a D5 or a D500..

The higher-level cameras serve as halo products, as statements of capability for the camera makers, that is also a factor. The leapfrogging must continue!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back