buying a circular polarizer!

thereforeiamx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
marieeisley.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do I have to look for when buying a circular screw-on polarizer for me lens under $70?
What difference does it make that some are super multi-coated or multi-coated? What role does the thinness of the glass play?

and any recommendations for brands?

If you're looking under $70, you're going to have to look for used unless you're very lucky. Brands to consider are Hoya, Tiffen, B+W. Don't worry about phrases like "super multi-coated" or "Specially designed for digital cameras" it's all advertising hype. The thickness of the glass is only relevant if you're buying a special 'thin-mount' filter, normally for use on wide-angle lenes. These filters normally don't have female threads, so you can't attach anything in front of them.

I bought an uncoated Quantaray/Ritz brand circular polarizer in 52mm size for my 18-55 lens when I was first starting for $29.99 and it's worked great, and hasn't had any flare or ghosting issues either which many claim it surely WILL have just because it's not a super duper fancy expensive multi-coated "brand name". Actually for all I know Hoya makes the thing. Quantaray rebrands other stuff.

Just avoid the garbage off of ebay and you'll be fine. Quantaray, Promaster, Hoya, Tiffen, B+W, are all good. And don't feel like you need to go with super dooper fancy multi-coated stuff if you're just getting started and don't want to spend more than you need to.

I have to admit that I've never seen a brand-name CPOL that cheap befor, however I've not looked for ones that small either. I would caution against buying cheaply, especially brands like Quantaray, which as Mav notes is simply a rebranding company; you never know what you're getting. Filters are part of the optical process, and like lenses are NOT the place to go cheap - by the best you can afford; a good filter is a lifetime purchase!

Today, I'm going to tell you guys the story of why the importer-rebranders tend to suck.

My mother bought a Technibond necklace. That thing went from "gold" to gray in about 3 months. She called HSN, does Technibond, to claim the "Lifetime Warranty". Well they give her an ADDRESS in INDIA!! No phone number, nothing. Just an address in india. She ended up sending it to them and never heard about it again.

Absolute bull****, and I tell everyone about it every chance I get.

on Amazon I am finding 77mm Hoya multi coated circular polarizers for $74.25. I am looking for a quality circular polarizer for my ultra wide angle lens, Canon 10-22. Should I be looking for a thin mount? is this a good filter? any suggestions?

on Amazon I am finding 77mm Hoya multi coated circular polarizers for $74.25. I am looking for a quality circular polarizer for my ultra wide angle lens, Canon 10-22. Should I be looking for a thin mount? is this a good filter? any suggestions?

Dam, my camera store is hosing me on filter prices then! Yes, for a wide/ultra-wide angle you're always best to go for a thin mount to reduce vignetting. You may still suffer from some of it at maximum FoV but it will be much less than a regular filter.

Most ultra-wide lenses work just fine with a regular thickness filter. You only really need the thin ones if you're going to double-stack filters.

Most ultra-wide lenses work just fine with a regular thickness filter. You only really need the thin ones if you're going to double-stack filters.

mine does not (17-40mm on full frame). Even the thin filter i have can cause slight trouble at 17mm and small apertures.

is suggest trying it out before buying anything.

Yes, good multi-coating makes a difference, but not in every situation.
The maximum visible difference between good multi-coating and the
lack of it would be when a light source is within the frame, near the edge.

With a wide lens, the skies may be spoiled by having dark and light parts.

I join the recommendation to check it for vignetting, on your specific lens,
before buying.

mine does not (17-40mm on full frame). Even the thin filter i have can cause slight trouble at 17mm and small apertures.

is suggest trying it out before buying anything.
Interesting. I heard that lens was fine with regular filters, specifically on full-frame too. :confused: Anyways yeah, try before you buy.

In Japan it seems that the Tiffen, B+H and Hoya are not very available. Amazon.co.jp has mostly Kenko (~40-50$), also a few from Japan Trust Technology ($20), Sigma (~80$), and Canon herself (~90-100$). $20 seems too cheap to trust (no pun intended), but I'd much rather spend 40-50 than 80-100 if the quality is ok. Does anyone use Kenko's polarizers, specifically the PRO1D ones? that's about 50$ marked down from about 90$ list price and seems to be multicoated.

The page, for what it's worth, is here. Some text can be changed to english in the top right corner:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/Kenko-PRO1D-%E3%83%AF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%89%E3%83%90%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89-%E3%82%B5%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BCPL-518526/dp/B000PJ59P2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214008912&sr=1-2

If not the Kenko, are the Sigma ones good? I assume Canon's would be, but of course these are more expensive. I'm looking for 58mm for Rebel XSi kit lens.

That's not my understanding.

The thin/slim filters for WA lenses do not have female threads on the front, thereby making unable to double-stack from the front. You can place the thin/slim as the last filter in a stack, but that is unwise with WA lenses due to inherent vignetting with standard filters plus adding another. That's why the thin/slim filter was introduced for WA lenses. The next best option would be a filter holder for rectangular filters. (Cokin, Lee, Singh-Ray to name a few)

Actually I just found the following regarding the Kenko filter:

"They are the same exact filters that are sold in the USA as Hoya Pro1D. Same label and everything, they just say Kenko. They ship from Japan, takes about 2 weeks, but you get them for almost half price compared to the Hoya branded ones. Quality is awesome."

Can anyone here confirm that this is a good choice? I'm looking for something that will give a nice deep blue sky for outdoor shots (when the sun is properly positioned of course) and hopefully more vivid colors for things like leaves and flowers.

Edit: looks like if that is true, Adorama has the same filter for 112$:
http://www.adorama.com/HY58CPLP1.html

If I can get that for about 50$ then that seems like the way to go. I'm not sure that it's the same filter, though. The Kenko one is "wide band," whatever that means. Can anyone explain this term?

Most reactions

Back