Buying a new camera

johndoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody!

So, I have decided to buy a new camera and start getting serious about photography, like, real serious.

I currently own a Fujifilm Finepix HS25 EXR. I have used this camera for some years now and it's pretty old. Fujifilm doesn't even make them nor support them (as far as I know) anymore. The camera is starting to shut off on me randomly even when I put new batteries in it and some of the features do not work.

Now, I know you guys get these types of questions a lot yet, I am curious what you guys think. I have been researching cameras for a few weeks now and have somewhat come to a decision. The brand I chose to go with is Canon. It was close between Canon, Sony, and Nikon, but for various reasons I chose Canon. I then began trying to figure out if I wanted to go DSLR or mirrorless. So after much research and thinking on it, I chose to go mirrorless, again, for numerous different reasons. That pretty much narrows it down to a few cameras lol.

This is where you fine folks come in. My two main choices came down between the R6 and the R5. Both of these cameras are great cameras and do a wonderful job. I was leaning a bit more towards the R5 because of the dual card slots (one of which is the CFexpress) and the 8k recording ( I am aware of the unfortunate heating and file size issue).

Ok, so, with that being said I have now come into a bigger problem so to say and that problem is..... The R3. While learning more about Canon and their mirrorless cameras I have recently found out about the R3 and possibly the R1. When choosing between the DSLR and mirrorless cameras I was leaning heavily towards the 1Dx Mark III, but for different reasons, I chose not to get that one. My apologies I am kinda babbling on lol.

Here is my question or questions. Should I just go for it and get the R5? Or should I maybe wait and see what comes of the R3 or even the R1?

What are your guy's thoughts on the R3/R1? I'm really excited for the R3/R1, but at the same time, I want to get a new camera SOOO bad right now lol. I can wait if I have to because the camera I purchase will be the camera I will be using for years to come and I just want to make sure I am making a good choice and don't regret it later (like waiting for the R3/R1 and not getting the R5 and vice versa). Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Take care!

Personally, any of them will be a good tool. It sounds like you did your research. Make a checklist of what you want in a camera. Don't get all caught up in something that isn't available, it's hype. Focus on what you want the camera to do for you. You can wait for the new one but they are already working on its replacement.

For an example, I prefer a camera with a 100% coverage viewfinder, if it doesn't have it, I'm moving on. That may not be important to everyone.

My next purchase will be mirrorless FF. I'm a Canon man so I'm waiting to see the new releases. They are rumoured to have 7 new mirrorless bodies in the pipeline, both FF and crops sensors. My advice is wait and see what comes if you're not in a rush.

My next purchase will be mirrorless FF. I'm a Canon man so I'm waiting to see the new releases. They are rumoured to have 7 new mirrorless bodies in the pipeline, both FF and crops sensors. My advice is wait and see what comes if you're not in a rush.
Oh wow. I only knew about the R3 and R1. Where did you hear about 7 of them?

I am not in a rush per se, but The camera I have now is killing me. It has some issues that are hard to deal with, but I can wait if I have to. It's not exactly like I need the camera for work or anything.

Personally, any of them will be a good tool. It sounds like you did your research. Make a checklist of what you want in a camera. Don't get all caught up in something that isn't available, it's hype. Focus on what you want the camera to do for you. You can wait for the new one but they are already working on its replacement.

For an example, I prefer a camera with a 100% coverage viewfinder, if it doesn't have it, I'm moving on. That may not be important to everyone.
What would be your checklist for a camera? What do you use your camera/s for? Which camera/s do you use or own?

I want to do portrait and landscape along with wildlife and sports shooting. I also want to be able to make videos for Youtube and do some editing work.

Oh wow. I only knew about the R3 and R1. Where did you hear about 7 of them?

I am not in a rush per se, but The camera I have now is killing me. It has some issues that are hard to deal with, but I can wait if I have to. It's not exactly like I need the camera for work or anything.

I read it somewhere online recently. Can't remember where but I'll see if I can find it or a similar article and report back.

Yeah, here it is. Just rumour at the moments but interesting all the same.

Oh man, that R1 sounds like a beast! Can't wait to see what they come up with. I think I will wait for a bit before I invest in a new system. As much as I want a new camera now I would hate to buy one and then regret it later when the new ones come out and are more to my liking. Money isn't that big of an issue for me. Not that I have tens of thousands of dollars lying around waiting to be spent but I will have enough to buy the R5 or even the R3 or R1 when they come out with a couple of nice lenses.

Thanks for the article and your input on this!

What would be your checklist for a camera? What do you use your camera/s for? Which camera/s do you use or own?

I want to do portrait and landscape along with wildlife and sports shooting. I also want to be able to make videos for Youtube and do some editing work.
I shoot mostly film these days but for digital, I use a Fugifilm GFX50R and a Fugifilm X100V. For Sports, a Canon EOS Classic set to zone focus and when one my grandkids fall into the zone, I press the shutter. My checklist is pretty short, 100% viewfinder and external dials so it mimics my process when shooting film. I would say I look at it more as a tool. These days, the dials are not even that important as I can navigate with almost anything. Simple is what I'm after. Framing is most important to me along with exposure. I'm a very slow shooter and shoot a variety of stuff. My latest love is shooting my Nikon F2, Nikkor 28mm f3.5 PC pre AI, tripod, hot shoe bubble level, cable release, and Kenko 1100 meter with spot meter attachment.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back