buying a new lens

itsjustbrandy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like anyone's advice that cares to share their opinion...

I am looking to buy my 2nd lens :mrgreen:. I found this one, for what I think may be a good deal.. just curious to see what others thought of it. It's a tamron 28-200 3.5 mm lens. I am new to photography, so I would like your honest opinion. Thanks soo much in advance! :hugs:

Optically it becomes more difficult to correct for problems when the variable focal length becomes extreme.

Since you have the 18-105mm, I would suggest getting a lens that compliments it ... such as a 70-200mm or 70-300mm.

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend the Tamron 70-300 LD Di. For the money, you just can't beat it...They can be found new for around $140

What type of photography do you enjoy doing?
What do you NOT like about your current lens? Focal range, image sharpness, low light performance...
What is your budget?

Three important questions to help guide our answers.

Thanks for all the input :D

I'm still learning, but what I enjoy shooting most is up close and personal. The lens that I have now.. doesn't focus as clearly as I would like it to.
Gardening to me, is right up there with taking photos... so I would like a lens that would be able to take a nice, crisp photo.

I read a couple of reviews on the Tamron 70-300 LD Di, and quite a few are saying that it just doesn't get the quality of a 'true' macro. Which is understandable at it's great price. I think that I would rather shed the extra bucks for a decent quality. I really don't have a strict budget, but of course, I would like to spend the least to get the best... if ya know what I mean :D

The macro lens is one that I am in the market for. Maybe someone could suggest a decent macro at a decent price???

Also, if you can... what's a reasonable lens for portraits, and also landscaping. Just looking for people that have personal experiences.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:

On a budget, a great lens to get for portraits is the 50mm f/1.8. Its been talked about quite a bit on the boards. Great image quality, good in low light, and costs under $100.

i'll leave someone else to answer the macro questions, as I don't know much about macro lenses

On a budget, a great lens to get for portraits is the 50mm f/1.8. Its been talked about quite a bit on the boards. Great image quality, good in low light, and costs under $100.

i'll leave someone else to answer the macro questions, as I don't know much about macro lenses

I believe she shoots Nikon, so their 50mm 1.8 is around $135 -- but the same principle applies.

I've also used the 50mm 1.8 (or Canon's version, anyway) for macro work, and found it serviceable. The problem is really the minimum focusing distance -- at 50mm and 1.5' MFD, it's just a tiny bit short for macro work. (The Nikon version has the same minimum focus.) But it's not a bad option -- perhaps not ideal, but workable. If the macro work is flowers rather than really small stuff (e.g. bugs), then it could work well.

If you like gardening then you will probably like birds and bugs. Go ahead and get a x-300mm (one with an aperture ring) and a set of extension tubes for macro work.

You'll also want a tripod. A cheap one will do to get you started.

here's one done with a tube.. it was hand held though.

Kimberlyfrnt.jpg

WoW... :thumbup: great shot! What type of spider is that? And yes, I do intend to snap photos of life in smaller scales... so please forgive my ignorance when asking, but what is an aperture ring and extention tubes?
I DOO need to read the manual a second time... I know. :blushing: I don't think my current lens has an apterture ring. I'd love to take a photo like that. Maybe you could suggest a lens?

I have a tripod now. And it is a cheap one, but free. haha
Almost everytime I put the camera on it :::neeerooomp::::: the cam slides down to the left :lol:... sooo... I am going to Roberts, a camera shop downtown, to pick one up before our vacation to FL. I'd like to take some nice shots of the sunset on a tripod... that works :mrgreen:

:::aaaahhhh Florida... :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back