buying a used DSLR please help.

ernestoc33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I just got rid of my Sony A330 and I'm looking to replace it with another used DSLR.
I've found a few online that are selling in my price range.
The Nikon D3000 or D40x or the Canon 1000D or 400D...
Any thoughts. I know they are only a linear move, but I'm just looking to build up a collection of lenses till I can afford a $2k or so camera.

Anyone know which of these is best, they are all selling for about 20 dollars in price difference from each other respectively.

Don't think of the camera per se. Think of the System behind it. Do you want a Nikon system or a Canon system.

Don't think of the camera per se. Think of the System behind it. Do you want a Nikon system or a Canon system.
Well I've done a lot of research on both over the last couple weeks and seem to like both equally for different reasons. I love the ergonomics and great selection of affordable glass from Canon. I want to eventually become a wedding photographer, I notice that lots of wedding photographers shoot Nikon because they have great low light AF. With the release of the new Canon 5D Mark III I notice they are stepping away from their EF-S mount which worries me a little for when I upgrade to a more expensive camera. Nikon on the other hand doesn't seem to be going anywhere and sticking to one mount only. Both seem to have a great selection of accessories and lenses with quality glass. So I'm pretty much stumped at this point and unsure which to pick. So I'm all ears for any advice.

From my experience I will strongly suggest Canon for every aspects like glass, system behind it, resolutions everything. I love to do wild life photography with my Canon.

99% of the difference between a Canon and a Nikon is in the hand holding the camera and the mind behind the hand. Both are very high quality lines with decades of experience behind them. Both are equally capable of exceeding the capabilities of any photographer (regardless of what some photographers think). I prefer Nikon, someone else prefers Canon. We both have what we want. Pick whichever "Feels" best to you, move forward and never look back.

That said, there are HUGE differences among models. Both the Nikon D3000 and D40 are entry-level cameras, and the D40 is at least one generation behind the D3000. I would personally not recommend either one because in a few months you will be looking to upgrade already.

With the release of the new Canon 5D Mark III I notice they are stepping away from their EF-S mount which worries me a little for when I upgrade to a more expensive camera.
The EF-S mount can only be used on Canon's APS-C image sensor cameras. Both EF and EF-S lenses will mount on Canon APS-C cameras, but only EF lenses will mount on APS-H and full frame image sensor Canon cameras, and it's been that way for quite some time.

Canon introduced the EF mount and the EOS system in 1987. They introduced the EF-S mount in 2003.

Given your track record of picking companies like Olympus and Sony. I'd say go with Canon (but only cuz I use Nikon) heh

Given your track record of picking companies like Olympus and Sony. I'd say go with Canon (but only cuz I use Nikon) heh

I know lol. Those two times I picked a losing horse. I didn't ask for Any advice and just jumped right in and lived to regret it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back