Buying first DSLR. Need advice!!

Zain5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I just joined your community. Hoping to learn about photography and cameras.

I REALLY need some advice. Your help will be appreciated.

Lets get to the point. I have decided to buy a DSLR camera for the first time. Though I love photography, but I have less information on the subject and the equipment at this point. That is why I am having a hard time choosing a DSLR.

First off, I will be needing this camera for normal indoor pictures (Family, Friends, Events...) and also outside photography, I want to experiment on the street, in the nature as I have lots of interest in it. Will also be needing video recording.

As I am an amateur, so I don't wanna get a camera I won't be able to operate. And also i don't have a big budget.

I did some research and found some models. But can't really decide which will be better for me at this point and in the coming years.

So I found these models:

Nikon D5100 + 18-55 VR Lens ---------------- € 499.

Canon EOS 600D + 18-55mm DC -------------- € 439.
Canon EOS 600D + 18-55mm IS ll Lens -------- € 479.
Canon EOS 600D + EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens ---- € 699.

Nikon D3200 + AF-S DX 18-55mm VR ---------- € 439.
Nikon D3200 + AF-S DX 18-55mm VR + AF-s DX 55-200mm + Bag --- € 599 (A local shopping mall is offering this).

Nikon D5200 + 18-55mm ---- € 649.

These are the cameras which I thought might fulfill my needs. But if there are other similar cameras in this range then PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Well first I narrowed it down it to Nikon D5100 (18-55mm) vs Canon EOS D600D (18-55mm IS ll). And and thinking of getting one of these AND buy TAMRON 70-300MM F/4.0-5.6 DI LD NIKON AF-D (149 €). I read good reviews about this lens. let me know if its a GOOD IDEA? To get this lens with these cameras (and others)?
Its really hard to choose between these two, as both are pretty same. First I was leaning towards D1500, as it has more live effects, and I read some reviews, and people were preferring this over 600D.
But then, I think 600D has better video quality, specially that Crop mode seems to be handy. On the other hand D5100 has more effects which you can apply live, and also its easy to switch between video and still shooting.
One other important difference between the final result from these cameras. Photos taken by 600D seem to be more colorful (I don't know the technical term), and I like it.
For example:

600D's result: http://image.digitalrev.com/images/features/d5100_vs_600d/images/by_600d_1_d.jpg

D5100's result: http://image.digitalrev.com/images/features/d5100_vs_600d/images/by_5100_3_d.jpg

In these results, I really like 600D here. So will this difference remain like this in the final results among these two? I know this sounds stupid, but I an unaware of the technical terms.

After these two, there is Nikon D3200. This one is also appealing, as it is new, and from what I have heard is that it's user interface is much simple.
How much better is this one from the D5100? Well, I can get this in 438€ with 18-55mm lens, rather than spending 499€ on D5100 with the same lens. And if I spend more I get 55-200mm lens with it.. But the only thing: D3200 doesn't have the Flip Screen, which comes very handy while making videos.

So which one will be a smarter choice: D5100 or D3200?

I don't think that Nikon D5200 has some huge difference or some mega plus point against the others. But if you think that this camera is good in the long run, then please let me know.

So what do you guys think of it. Which one of these will be a smarter choice: Nikon D5100, D3200 or Canon EOS 600D? Please also do keep the battery life in mind while giving your review.
If there are other worthy cameras, do tell me about them.
And also I am thinking of getting TAMRON 70-300MM F/4.0-5.6 DI LD NIKON AF-D with any camera I buy. Is this good idea? I know it won't get the best results, but I heard good about this. So let me know.

I will be waiting for your precious advice :D

the 600D is a good all around camera and you can get them fairly cheap used, why do you want to put a nikon lens on a canon camera if you go that way?

Both the Nikon D5100 and Canon 600D are very good and capable cameras.
I think the D5100 has a slight advantage in low light situation but overall these two cameras are close and very good.
I would try to get original lenses if possible, speaking as a user of Nikon I would get the 70-300mm VR an absolutly awesome lens.
Consider buying the lens used, all my Nikon lenses except my 50mm 1.8G are used, got them close to 50% of their retail price and all working great.

I looked at the 600D and D5100 sample photo of the boat on the tidal flat. The sharpness and resolution seem close in that small sized on-line image. The Canon photo has warmer white balance than the Nikon, which some people like. With a digital SLR, the final results can vary tremendously.

I was out shopping today, and noticed at Walmart that a two-lens D5100 boxed kit with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses was the best deal, at $499 US dollars. The higher-megapixel D3200 with 18-55 was $449, but with just the one lens, not with the 18-55 and 55-200 two-lens deal.

The Nikon D3100 and D5100 are one generation older cameras, and there is a lot of stock still in inventory, so there are a lot of good deals on those.

HONESTLY--I think any modern-generation d-slr is fine for the beginning d-slr user.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back