Buying glass new vs used, need some advice

Tyler Durden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a friend who can get me the 1.4 canon 50mm prime and the canon 75-300 f4-5.6 zoom lens through best buy for $570 total. Would I be better off getting these off of eBay or some other second hand shop or is this a great deal on two worthy lenses? I have the 28-135 already, do these lenses compliment what I have already? Any sugestions on what to do would be great! Also, I'm looking into a camera backpack as well, he mentioned I could pick up one of the ape cases pretty cheap as well, any experinces with this pack? Thanks guys!

Chris

That's kind of what I was thinking actually. I can get the 50f1.4 for 410 and the zoom for 163. The only sticking point is I'm about to move back home for grad school and nome of my friends back home work at best buy! And the apecase I'm looking at is the acpro 2000

If both the lenses are the exact ones in my signature, get the 50mm but not the 75-300, i hate it and soon replacing it with 70-200mm F/4L USM

Edit: I have the "Canon EF 75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 III" and I hate it. Granted it does take good enough shots for entry-level but its just not good enough for me anymore. I got a picture oh "lava man" in a horse race. It was an amazing shot when I took it, but the more I look at it, the less I like it, pretty soft edges, not crisp n clean despite its IN focus, and fast shutter etc...

Edit: I have the "Canon EF 75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 III" and I hate it. Granted it does take good enough shots for entry-level but its just not good enough for me anymore. I got a picture oh "lava man" in a horse race. It was an amazing shot when I took it, but the more I look at it, the less I like it, pretty soft edges, not crisp n clean despite its IN focus, and fast shutter etc...

I also own the 75-300 /4.0-5.6 iii... I can't say that I hate it. However if I could afford to, I would replace in in a heartbeat.

I also own the 75-300. Dont waste your money...

I have a Sony a200 and need to replace a Sigma 70 - 300 due to a bad focus ring...again. I have checked out the Sony and Tamron. I love the feel and smoothness of the Sony. Is it really a Minolta lens? The Sigma was not smooth zooming and the Tamron feels very similar in this regard. Which glass is better and is refurbished a good option for a beginner to advanced shooter?

Most reactions

Back