Buying my first dSLR (not your usual thread...)

You can indeed find an adapter for Canons to mount OM lenses. Not a big deal seeing as you already made your choice, but it's worth noting for others reading the thread. Canon, because it has an enormous (almost medium format sized) mount, can be adapted to mount lenses from most other manufacturers. Oddly, the only SLR lens mount that will not mount on an EF camera with a glass-less adapter, as far as I know, is the old Canon FD mount.

Good point. Since I made my choice I have come across one of the adapters you mention. That would not have changed my decision anyway but thanks for the heads up.

Well, that was October 2008.

How have you liked the Olympus E-420?

Has it been adequate in meeting your anticipated needs?

Regardless of the specific decision you made, MUCH applause to you taking this kind of approach to it to the point where you could write down your analysis like this.

Someone should sticky this as an example of one way to go about this process.

Congrats on the cam, btw!

Well, that was October 2008.

How have you liked the Olympus E-420?

Has it been adequate in meeting your anticipated needs?

Well, keeping in mind my requirements (see original post), the E-420 has met my needs quite well. I find it remarkably easy to use (both button and menu layouts are user friendly). There was a small learning curve as I had never used such a 'complicated' camera before, but a read through the manual was all it took to get me started with the camera. It is very intuitive to use.

The flash I bought with it also fits my needs although in some rare cases I wished it was more powerful (bouncing the flash of higher ceilings might be a problem). The main problem with the flash is that it only takes 2 AA batteries, so you need quite a few spares to keep going. If you want to go Strobist' style, the wireless flash system (with FL-36R and FL-50R flashes) is also very intuitive to use and seems to work well (although I tried it with a single off-camera flash).

The AF is often considered to be inferior to other entry level cameras according to some reviews on the Internet. I never really encountered much difficulties (keeping in mind that I always use the centre AF point to focus and then recompose). Even indoors in lower light and with the kit lens, the AF finds focus fairly quickly without hunting.

All is not good though. Manual focusing is very difficult with this camera (but I was aware of that when I bought the camera). The viewfinder is tiny and the focus by wire on the kit lens is weird (no mechanical feel and you have to turn the focus ring a lot to focus... nothing like what I am used to with older film cameras!!).

In term of image quality, I am really satisfied. Of course a few test shots at higher ISO demonstrated the limitations of the smaller sensor (limitations I was aware off before buying), but it does not matter to me as I always shoot at ISO 100. I shoot RAW and process using Bibble Pro.

Another negative point: live view. This is useless on this camera. The refresh rate on the screen is too slow to be of any use. But then again I had never planned to us it, so it does not make any difference to me.

If I was to nitpick, the neck strap is attached to the camera in an awkward position. When you carry the camera around your neck it sits at a strange angle but I can live with that as it is really light.

Glad to hear that it's adequate.

I went searching for images that you've posted, and loved what I've seen.

I look forward to seeing more!

I went searching for images that you've posted, and loved what I've seen.

Thanks but be aware that all the images posted on TPF so far were taken with a Spotmatic F, Bronica SQA or a pinhole camera (none with the E-420, as this is mainly used to take pictures of my daughter and at family events, pictures that I don't share on TPF).

I look forward to seeing more!

If only the days were longer (or if I did not need to sleep), I would have more time for photography and would be able to post more pictures. Sigh...

I find it very interesting that you ruled out Sony so quickly saying they weren't big in cameras. Sony makes the sensor's used in a lot of other manufacturers body's....including many if not all Nikon DSLR's.

I would definitely not have ruled out Sony so quickly. It may not have won out, but I would have at least given it a chance.

Thanks but be aware that all the images posted on TPF so far were taken with a Spotmatic F, Bronica SQA or a pinhole camera (none with the E-420, as this is mainly used to take pictures of my daughter and at family events, pictures that I don't share on TPF).
Yep. That's one of the reasons I look forward to seeing more. You take your time, studying your light and framing.

I find it very interesting that you ruled out Sony so quickly saying they weren't big in cameras. Sony makes the sensor's used in a lot of other manufacturers body's....including many if not all Nikon DSLR's.

I would definitely not have ruled out Sony so quickly. It may not have won out, but I would have at least given it a chance.

I know what you are saying about Sony and that the technology in their cameras is as good as any. I know there was no logical reason for discarding them so quickly but they just did not appeal to me.

Most reactions

Back