Buying My First Lens...HELP!

ssuuzzyy88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am currently just starting photography....senior photos, engagement sessions, portraits, etc. I have a Nikon SD3100 and am looking to purchase my first lens. I sometimes use the lens the camera came with 18mm-55mm, however i usually rent the [FONT=&quot]24mm - 70mm f/2.8. My first question is, am i using the correct lens for these kind of shoots? If so, then i know what lens to buy. If not, could anyone please help with suggested lenses?
[/FONT]

ssuuzzyy88 said:
I am currently just starting photography....senior photos, engagement sessions, portraits, etc. I have a Nikon SD3100 and am looking to purchase my first lens. I sometimes use the lens the camera came with 18mm-55mm, however i usually rent the 24mm - 70mm f/2.8. My first question is, am i using the correct lens for these kind of shoots? If so, then i know what lens to buy. If not, could anyone please help with suggested lenses?

I use the canon equivalent and I think it's a good choice, it being bright and generally wide and long. You might want to rent a second, such as a long prime or 70-200 2.8 and see what you reach for most.

I am currently just starting photography....senior photos, engagement sessions, portraits, etc. I have a Nikon SD3100 and am looking to purchase my first lens. I sometimes use the lens the camera came with 18mm-55mm, however i usually rent the [FONT=&quot]24mm - 70mm f/2.8. My first question is, am i using the correct lens for these kind of shoots? If so, then i know what lens to buy. If not, could anyone please help with suggested lenses?
[/FONT]

People who are "just starting photography" are not the people that should be doing "senior photos, engagement sessions, portraits, etc.".

"Am I using the correct lens for these kind of shoots?" How are we to know what, how, when or why you are shooting what you do? Do you think you are using the "correct lens"? Do you think there is a magic lens for every situation?

I call troll.

[FONT=&quot]You are having the right lenses with you. Also, I would recommend a 50mm, f1.8, lens that will help you take portraits in very dim light. Again if you are ready to splurge some $$, I would also recommend a 70-300mm lens that will help you take some great portraits from a distance without actually disturbing them.. I wish you the best [/FONT]

Hmmm... sounds like you want to buy a portrait lens Suzy.I would be looking at the 85/1.8. It was one of the first lenses I purchased when I started shooting for money. I worked for a recognised pro studio, and learned how to shoot properly. Back in the days of film, people with nice cameras weren't all photographers.. because it actually required an investment to self learn ! Having said that, it is still a trusted lens in my kit. Keep the kit lens for general stuff where you need a bit of focal length variety for perspective changes.. pop the 85 on for your "pro" shots you are hoping to charge for, and use your feet to get closer and further away... you will love learning what this lens can do close up, and at full focal length.. enjoy ! Hope this helps.... :)
Fuds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back