Buying new camera...Advice!?

arond24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings all! This question likely has been posed a million times but, could I get some quick consensus on a entry level dslr? I would like to keep cost relatively low. is it ok to buy used? any recommended lenses to jump in right away with?

id like to stay below $1000 for camera and any lenses needed
and id primarily be shooting things like engagement, family and newborn photos

thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
What are you thinking about for price? And do you have a preference on a camera manufacturer yet or are you open to any suggestions? A budget would be a great start for us to be able to help you.

I edited original post but would like to stay $1000 and hopefully less than that...I am a relatively new photographer but will be starting to do some paying gigs like I said with engagement, family type photos...I don't have a brand specifically in mind, I have heard the common thought process though to try and stay with a canon/Nikon and I cant go wrong...

maybe a reference for cameras ive been looking at would help , new and used, ive looked at canon 40 and 60d, rebel eos t5...

The things you plan on shooting, makes me wonder if you want to start a business. Both Nikon and Canon, have very good entry level cameras. Go to a shop and try both out, and buy the one that fits best to your grip.

Investing a few hundred dollars in a good flash is also an option. Good 2nd hand flashes are available at good prices.

I would recommend buying used as long as you aren't purchasing anything really high end where a full warranty would be worth the extra cost. All of my initial equipment came used from Amazon. Just make sure the seller has a high percentage (>95%) positive feedback and over 100 reviews. Don't buy anything where the price seems too good to be true from someone who hasn't sold anything before. I would recommend picking up a body in 'like new' condition and any glass in either 'like new' or 'very good' condition. I bought all my equipment this way and got a great deal on a body with a shutter count below 5.

Its a matter of preference, but if you are in the US you may want to make sure you are buying the US version of any equipment.

Last edited:
If you are interested in that type of work, and have $1000 to spend, I'd probably recommend buying a used or refurbished Nikon D5500 or D7100, plus a fast standard zoom (maybe the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4). I think that combination would be great to learn on but won't be causing you to spend more money immediately. You might even have some leftover cash for a fast prime like the 50mm, or speed light.

I'd definitely stay away from the point-and-shoot and bridge cameras.

thanks so far! kep the recommendations and advice coming!

any general differences between Nikon and canon? major stuff? or is it really just personal preference between them? I heard canon are cumbersome with Macs? true?

thanks so far! kep the recommendations and advice coming!

any general differences between Nikon and canon? major stuff? or is it really just personal preference between them? I heard canon are cumbersome with Macs? true?

I've had both in the past year. I ended up switching from Canon to Nikon mostly because of the sensor in the camera, and because the feature sets of the Nikons were closer to what I wanted.

That being said, it's just a tool. The photographer who uses it has much more to do with the success than the tool itself.

I had zero issues with my Canon and my Mac.

I can't speak to any specific differences between Nikon and Canon. They are both great and as far as I know it is a matter of preference. The lens offerings overlap for the most part, but each manufacturer may have some specific lenses that the other does not, so you could look at that and see if there is anything you might be interested in down the road someday.

With you budget you will be getting a crop sensor body, so I would recommend picking up a fast 35mm prime and a decent mid-range zoom. You can compare buying a body with kit lens and picking up the prime or getting a body only and buying both lenses separately.

If you thinking of shooting and get paid then get the Nikon D7100 with its kit lens and add to that Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Excellent low light performance and excellent auto focus system.
Very important factor of this camera is the dual SD card slots, if you shoot for money you should shoot when your camera writes to both SD cards, it will be very unfortunate to find that your SD card crapped out (and it happened) and you don't have back up.
In your price range only Nikon (to the best of my knowledge) is offering the dual SD card option.
Also the D7100 sensor is excellent offering not just very good low light performance but also excellent dynamic range.

Greetings all! This question likely has been posed a million times but, could I get some quick consensus on a entry level dslr? I would like to keep cost relatively low. is it ok to buy used? any recommended lenses to jump in right away with?

Go to some store and see what deals are on offer with Nikon and Canon, there normally is some sort of deal with entry level cameras. I could be a lens or two with the body, a bag, a memory card things like that are all those put together i.e., body + lens + bag + memory card and there is often a cash back offer from the manufacturer but this is separate from the shop selling the item.

My Advice look at the Nikon d3500 or the d5500 range and the equivalent Canon models ( I am not familiar with Canon ranges but just google the Nikon models above and type vs canon in the search bar long side)
Compare prices and deals inc (extras) online and in to the shops near you.
If you buy from a shop haggle over the extras like a class 10 memory card.
You need not buy newest model you could look at a d5400 instead of a 5500

Nikon have a slight edge over Canon on entry levels but not by much ( I started with a D5100)

Go to some store and see what deals are on offer with Nikon and Canon, there normally is some sort of deal with entry level cameras. I could be a lens or two with the body, a bag, a memory card things like that are all those put together i.e., body + lens + bag + memory card and there is often a cash back offer from the manufacturer but this is separate from the shop selling the item.

My Advice look at the Nikon d3500, d5600 ,D7200 and the equivalent Canon models ( I am not familiar with Canon ranges but just google the Nikon models above and type vs canon in the search bar long side)
Compare prices and deals inc (extras) online and in to the shops near you.
If you buy from a shop haggle over the extras like a class 10 memory card.
You need not buy newest model you could look at a d5400 instead of a 5600

Nikon have a slight edge over Canon on entry levels but not by much ( I started with a D5100)
I would nearly start with the middle of the range type (d5500/5600 but only you know you're budget.

If you are interested in that type of work, and have $1000 to spend, I'd probably recommend buying a used or refurbished Nikon D5500 or D7100, plus a fast standard zoom (maybe the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4). I think that combination would be great to learn on but won't be causing you to spend more money immediately. You might even have some leftover cash for a fast prime like the 50mm, or speed light.

I'd definitely stay away from the point-and-shoot and bridge cameras.[/Q

what about a Nikon D7000 with a 35mm 1.8 DX (prime lens for a cropped sensor) for 550 used ?? then I can get another lens.

Most reactions

Back