Buying new camera...Advice!?

" it's just a tool. The photographer who uses it has much more to do with the success than the tool itself."

What he said :)

Nikon d-SLR, in the lower or middle price class. See about their newest model, one that allows wireless transfer of photos to a smart phone,while in the field. Check Thom Hogan's web site for reviews. D3400 or D5400 maybe?
$1,000 does not get you a lot lens-wise.

Ok, well setting aside the oddity of starting a photography business without even enough basic knowledge of what camera you should buy....

If it were me I'd look for a used D7100 and a used 50mm 1.8 AF-S G lens. You should be able to secure both and stay under your budget. Then take whats left over and get at least one halfway decent flash.

I will wish you well in your endeavor.

Definitely buy used/refurbished but only from a reputable seller. Some that I have bought used equipment from online include Adorama, B&H, Cameta and Nikon sells refurbs direct on their website - you just have to poke around a bit to find the right link.

Many refurbished cameras are/were short-term buys returned for buyer's remorse. Or were bought and unethically used for an event, then returned. Or bought for A/B comparison testing. Legally in the USA, these cannot be sold as new, so these items are checked out, cleaned, and then repacked and sold as refurbished.

Many refurbished cameras are/were short-term buys returned for buyer's remorse. Or were bought and unethically used for an event, then returned. Or bought for A/B comparison testing. Legally in the USA, these cannot be sold as new, so these items are checked out, cleaned, and then repacked and sold as refurbished.
The only difference I've seen in refurbished and brand new is the warranty (only 90 days) and the packaging. 2 yrs ago I bought a Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6. It even smelled new and I works perfectly.

If you bump your funding to 1500 or so you can pick up a D500 in like new condition. I saw one yesterday for 1500.00 with 266 activations and all accessories in the box. US model.

I like my D500 and think it would be a great first camera.

The only difference I've seen in refurbished and brand new is the warranty (only 90 days) and the packaging. 2 yrs ago I bought a Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6. It even smelled new and I works perfectly.

Cameta camera used to give a full 1 year warranty on refurbs. That was just over a year ago so not sure if it is still offered but if so it would tip the scales in their favor if prices are equal.

Cameta camera used to give a full 1 year warranty on refurbs. That was just over a year ago so not sure if it is still offered but if so it would tip the scales in their favor if prices are equal.

When buying a used (non refurbished camera) it is still covered under the original 5 year warranty as long as it is not grey market, so this is usually a better way to go than refurbished.

thanks everyone I really appreciate all the help...I am not looking to "start a business" as someone presumed earlier, I have a full time job and am simply going to be doing some casual shoots for friends and friends of friends...people looking for nice pictures in the semi-pro range I guess...

soooooo, it looks like I will be taking the general consensus here and gstarting with an intro Nikon...I was looking at spec sheets and comparisons on the models mentioned here but would love some input from u guys on general differences in these body models....I was looking at the d7100, the d3400 and d55oo...

thanks again!

Having graduated from the 5100 to the 7100, I would recommend the 7100 because of the ease of changing most settings without menu diving. It makes a much greater difference than I expected. Also the viewfinder is bigger/better.

There is a Nikon D3400 kit right now for $600. I think this is a pretty decent deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back