buying new canon pro kit...any canon sale/rebate info coming up?

wrightm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm worked my bum off for the past year and finally have saved up to buy a pro kit, prob based around the 5d. I will be shooting a lot of portraits, weddings, events, concerts...so I pretty much need all around equip.
A few years ago I got a nice rebate offer from Canon involving purchase of the 20d plus some non L series lenses.
Now I'm looking to get L series.
Are there any triple rebate sort of things coming up? I noticed one by canon for $150 off a 70-200 IS ($1,600 at B&H)....is this good or should I wait for something else?
So I was thinking a good starter pro kit would be something like
5d (should I hold off on purchase? New model? Sales?)
24-70 (BH $1,100) 2.8L main
70-200 IS 2.8 tele/portrait

Should I look into any other lenses that may better fit my needs? Am I forgetting anything?

I think this should cover all main needs, no? What is your opinion? I already have the 580 flash & 20d as a backup. I loved the 17-85 IS lens that came with the 20d. I traveled the world and used this mainly (bought the 20d specifically for this cover-all lens but I now need some 2.8 action). Is the 24-70 as close equivalent to the 20d's 17-85? Is the 17 the same as the the 5d's 24? Wide angle would be my main concern.

Thx so much

Since I plan on that being my set-up in a few years (those two lenses within the next 2 and that body or its successor in a few), I'd say it looks good. Do you have a good tripod and camera bag to go with them? The only thing it lacks (according to some people here, though I'm not one of them) are primes, but that comes later if you really need the wide apertures and super-sharpness that you can't get with zooms.

If you buy a 5D and a pro9000 printer you get a $400 mail in rebate from Canon which means that you only pay $19 for the printer.
Also there is an instant $80 savings when you buy the 24-70L lens and a $125 instant rebate on the 70-200.

You can find rebates on any equipment that you might be interested in at BHphoto. Just search said equipment and any rebates available can be found by clicking the green rebate link to the right of the item.

Well you could wait all year for sales or just pull the trigger. The problem with waiting for sales is that by the time something relly goes on sale the next generation is set to come out so the one you buy will be old news.

I think that the current rebates are pretty good. They last until January 13, so don't wait too long.

Will there be a new 5D replacement soon? Who knows? I'm sure it is next on Canons upgrade list, but if it does everything you need now, don't worry about it.

I think that the current rebates are pretty good. They last until January 13, so don't wait too long.

Will there be a new 5D replacement soon? Who knows? I'm sure it is next on Canons upgrade list, but if it does everything you need now, don't worry about it.

I've been told that the 5Ds will be available sometime next summer but I don't know that for sure. If so then they should be announced within the next few months.

GTFO newtonellis.. this thread is 4 yo. Stop spamming!

Most reactions

Back