I refuse to do business on eBay anymore. You honestly have no idea who you're doing business with. The site is full of scammers. You can even fake your feedback on the site, which sucks because of how many people mistakenly put faith in this system of rating.
Of course there are good guys on eBay. The problem is navigating the mine field trying to find them amongst all the unscrupulous vendors.There are some good sellers on ebay. One time, I got a refund from a ebay seller. And the refund included the shipping charges in both directions. Can't beat that!
Are there any bad one out there, yes, I am sure.
Just because I have an opinion based upon multiple bad experiences, not to mention some real humm-dingers my buddy had, doesn't mean I'm "fear mongering".Scare mongering against eBay (and legitimate eBay sellers trying to unload old photography equipment) only hurts the free flow of used goods. And as I said - if you purchase off eBay and pay through PayPal there is no risk. I suppose its great that so many people are scared of eBay as it keeps the competition for goods low (I recently got a near mint SB800 for 215 bucks - I was the only one who bid).
I believe ebay/paypal did change their policy regarding non power seller which make scammer (usually not power seller) hard to use ebay/paypal as the tool to scam money.
Of course there are good guys on eBay. The problem is navigating the mine field trying to find them amongst all the unscrupulous vendors.There are some good sellers on ebay. One time, I got a refund from a ebay seller. And the refund included the shipping charges in both directions. Can't beat that!
Are there any bad one out there, yes, I am sure.
The one time I had to go to eBay to resolve a dispute on an item they were less than helpful and it certainly wasn't a matter of "oh, I'm unhappy with the product just give me my money back because the seller isn't responsive". It took about a month to get closure and I don't know how many hours of my time.
Not worth it IMHO when buying something like camera gear where you can get a good price and good service from a known quantity like B&H or Adorama.
...for what it's worth.![]()
I believe ebay/paypal did change their policy regarding non power seller which make scammer (usually not power seller) hard to use ebay/paypal as the tool to scam money.
Indeed. The eBay of 2006 is NOT the eBay of 2009. Depending on who you ask its either a Buyer or a Sellers Paradise these days on eBay with the "failsafes" that have been put in place. They used to offer buyer protection only up to $2000 on items (I actually had to use Buyer Protection for a D300 - got my money back in 4 days - not from the seller, but from PayPal), but now all purchases through PayPal are protected in full. I wouldn't purchase from anyone NOT using PayPal, and I believe you have to have a certain number of sells to qualify for the full enchilada protection on your auctions.
This statement has absolutely NO qualifiers in it dude, opinion or not. Thats why I labeled it as fear-mongering because someone going off this will think "Holy **** I shouldn't even sign into eBay because that might compromise me!" Cameta Camera, 17th Street Photo, Sigma4Less, Roberts Camera, etc. etc. ALL have eBay stores at less prices than BH/Adorama. Casting a blanket "No eBay!" robs someone who doesn't know any better of a valuable resource for shopping.I refuse to do business on eBay anymore. You honestly have no idea who you're doing business with. The site is full of scammers. You can even fake your feedback on the site, which sucks because of how many people mistakenly put faith in this system of rating.
That's good info.Indeed. The eBay of 2006 is NOT the eBay of 2009. Depending on who you ask its either a Buyer or a Sellers Paradise these days on eBay with the "failsafes" that have been put in place. They used to offer buyer protection only up to $2000 on items (I actually had to use Buyer Protection for a D300 - got my money back in 4 days - not from the seller, but from PayPal), but now all purchases through PayPal are protected in full. I wouldn't purchase from anyone NOT using PayPal, and I believe you have to have a certain number of sells to qualify for the full enchilada protection on your auctions.
Gotcha.This statement has absolutely NO qualifiers in it dude, opinion or not. Thats why I labeled it as fear-mongering because someone going off this will think "Holy **** I shouldn't even sign into eBay because that might compromise me!" Cameta Camera, 17th Street Photo, Sigma4Less, Roberts Camera, etc. etc. ALL have eBay stores at less prices than BH/Adorama. Casting a blanket "No eBay!" robs someone who doesn't know any better of a valuable resource for shopping.I refuse to do business on eBay anymore. You honestly have no idea who you're doing business with. The site is full of scammers. You can even fake your feedback on the site, which sucks because of how many people mistakenly put faith in this system of rating.