Buying Used - Help Please!

WNK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Normally on ebay and such, I'm a stickler for "brand new, unopened," but I've seen that some of the "like new" cameras are almost half the price. Do you think it's worth the risk? The specific one I'm looking at, the buyer has over 99% positive feedback, but I'm still rather hesitant. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

For film cameras and lenses, yeah. For digital, maybe, but I would personally be a little more nervous. I know a lot of digital SLRs were getting returned a few years back because people were rushing out to get them, thinking that the camera would make them a great photographer. After they realized they really didn't know what to do with them, a lot were getting returned or sold used. I don't know if that's still the case, but considering how much they are being pushed, I wouldn't be surprised. You might find a good deal on one in good shape.

When buying these used big ticket items, make sure you get in writing from the seller that the item is in perfect order and that he/she will take it back if it's DOA. Also, make sure you pay insured shpping!

That's some good advice... I wouldn't shy away from it just because it's Ebay but like they said you should do your homework and just be extra cautious. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I also use www.pricegrabber.com and can usually find good deals there if you want to shop around a bit.

I bought my camera on ebay, though it isn't a high end DSLR - just a konica minolta z6 (still, $300 on ebay). I'm totally pleased with the camera for what I paid for it, and it was in perfect order with only 1 tiny scratch on the body, as described. I'm a huge fan of ebay, and buy stuff off of there all the time. I always ask the seller if the item is in good condition (regardless of what the description says), and what their policy is on returns if it's damaged or DOA. That way you have their answer in writing, and if they don't answer at all, you know they're shady and not to buy from them :)

Some scams are just blatantly obvious. For example I was recently looking at a used Canon 20D on Ebay, only to find at least 5 other listings that were completely identical in every way - exact same text and same photo - from 3 different sellers. Each seller had 100% positive feedback on several transactions, but one seller had previously only 'sold' tiny model furniture while another had only 'sold' some non-specific beauty products. I say 'sold' because I'm 99.99% sure these were all fake sales intended to improve their feedback. Anyway if that wasn't enough, each listing gave an email address to contact in case you wanted to "have it now"... and yet not an official "Buy It Now" option. It was the most obvious attempt to defraud people I've ever seen, and yet still there were bids.

I highly doubt you'd get fooled by something like that. The greater danger is that the seller instead of being an outright con artist is simply unscrupulous or unreasonable, and may refuse a refund or replacement if there's something wrong with it. As everyone else has said, get confirmation in writing, and if they refuse that then ask why - though you'll probably know already.

Thanks guys. I did not win the one last night, but I am bidding on another one thats closing this morning. This seller had a refund/return policy spelled out, had a line in the description that he takes full responsibility for the content of the listing and item offered and he has 100% feedback on over 100 sold items, so I feel pretty confident about bidding. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

Also don't forget.... Adorama does put things up for auction too. With those auctions, you are dealing with a well known camera store with the same return/refund policies.

Most reactions

Back