What's new

C&C appreciated: Desaturated Glowy Growth House!

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
657
Location
Norway
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one of the growth houses the University has. The lighting was pretty remarkable this night.

What I've done here is converting to black and white, then masking in SOME of the colour in the houses and the sky - not everything. The brush was set to 40% or something. I just wanted to show the glow, and emphasize on those colours on the house and in the sky in the scene, the rest isn't overly interesting. I think this works pretty well, actually! I'm happy with it! I get a weird sort of feeling looking at it, but it's hard for me to judge properly myself.

This has been tonemapped in photomatix to get as much detail as possible in the entire range of brightness values. Taken with a 40D and Tokina 12-24mm/4.

Anyway, take a look, and I thank you for your opinions! :)


Veksthus, UMB by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr
 
I'm not sure if I like it, but I spent a good minute just staring at it. It's definitely an eye catcher, that's for sure.
 
I didn't know the university had nuclear reactors!
 
I'm not sure if I like it, but I spent a good minute just staring at it. It's definitely an eye catcher, that's for sure.

Hehe, I'll take what I can get ;)
 
I must say that I like what you did here. I like that you saw what the sky and light were offering you and took that chance. And I like how you tried to make the best of it by tonemapping and desaturation. You sure created an image that makes people look and think.
Nevertheless, I'm quite curious to see the original just for once (maybe?)
 
LaFoto said:
I must say that I like what you did here. I like that you saw what the sky and light were offering you and took that chance. And I like how you tried to make the best of it by tonemapping and desaturation. You sure created an image that makes people look and think.
Nevertheless, I'm quite curious to see the original just for once (maybe?)

I'm revising for exams just now, but will post one og the unedited files later today!
And thanks a lot! :)
 
Here's one exposure pretty close to an average of the five six I took. Probably didn't need six, but.... :)

IMG_2639.jpg



edit: looking at this, my edited version doesn't really look desaturated :P But it were much more colourful out of photomatix.
 
Would be great to have a silhouette of someone inside.
 
Too many times am I getting responses that say I should have had a person in there somewhere! LOL :) I'm not big on props, but I agree it would add another dimension of mystery. I like to shoot alone, and can't place people where want. Thanks for the tip, I should try to remember it in the future!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom