C & C first photos with DSLR

Harris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of my new camera, but thought I would share a few I took earlier and see what you guys and gals thought. Sorry, but I don't have the setting info on these, hopefully as I become more familiar with the camera I'll get better.

Don't know why but I like this one.

IMG_0855.jpg

Here's a shot of another pet

IMG_0840.jpg

And here's a couple of some flowers

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Although I'm not looking to become a professional photographer, I do enjoy taking good photos. I'm still trying to figure out the "processing" of raw images and don't (as of yet) have any photo editing software other than what came with my camera.

What camera are you using? Just curious.

Besides the first, the rest seem to be a little out of focus.

Using a Canon Rebel XSi - trying to get the hang of it.

I like that cat picture particularly because he/she has such an interesting expression. Kind of looks like its giving instructions. But the one ear is clipped off at the tip.

The exif data is in your shots. If you have ZoomBrowser EX installed on your computer you can see the shot information using the Preview Mode viewer. Or you can get a exif reader like Opanda IExif.

#1 - Not a bad pic but the shadow on the wall from the pop-up flash is bothersome.
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/60
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 50mm
Exposure Mode: Portrait

#2 - You should have used the pop-up flash for this shot to fill in the shadowed areas on the dogs face. Shooting in bright sunlight is actually kind of challenging because you have strong contrasts to deal with (too bright light areas and too dark shadowed areas). Also be aware of the direction the light is coming from...you should have shot this from the other side of the dog so the sunlight could have illuminated the dog's face a bit.
Shutter Speed: 1/400
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 55mm
Exposure Mode: Portrait

#3 - Image seems soft and desaturated. Bring up the contrast and saturation and push the sharpening up a little more.
Shutter Speed: 1/500
ISO: 125
Exposure Mode: Auto

#4 - This image looks blurry from some camera shake...or the camera just missed focus. Colors are dull. Image could be brightened up a bit and use more saturation. The purplish color of the ground cover is kinda interesting.
Shutter Speed: 1/100
ISO: 200
Exposure Mode: Auto

You're shooting in RAW and using the Canon software to edit? The Canon software is pretty good but you'll eventually start to feel limited by it. Might want to consider Photoshop Elements 7 if you don't want to get Photoshop CS4 yet. Look at Lightroom 2 too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, really appreciate the help. I want to upgrade to probably Aperture 2 (as I'm using Mac), but want to try to get photos as good as I can before I learn how to help manipulate them. (plus I'm a little poor after just buying the camera).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back