C&C - First pictures!

Barco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, friends! These are my first photographs here. Please, don't take so hard on me!

I have been photographing everything I can (haven't been out of the apartment with the Camera). There are 2 photos that I liked, which I'm posting here. I'm a little embarassed of posting them, since I have seen some great work here, but I'd REALLY like some comments of do's and don'ts about them, and to be able to improve!

On both I have tried to use the Rule of Thirds, and letting only the subject on focus.

Please, comment!

Thanks for your attention, and your time!

They are both a little dark for me.

First picture: I think the pink thing is a little too dominating in the frame since its out of focus. Maybe crop part out just so you can't see the space behind it.

Picture Two: the vignette is a little too heavy for me, but this is a habit I had as well, which I've started to correct as well.

I am by no means a pro :) those are just my opinions, and at the very least, at least you're pulling out the camera and trying.

I love that you're playing with a Vader bobblehead. The second photo, I would have shot it from a bit lower angle, directly at the side of the glass.

Beware your background. Many photographers look at the main subject and completely forget that there are other things in the shot.

Question: Why do you like these shots ?

I came back to these several times, hoping to find something to critque because I know getting nothing back is pretty defeating, but I'm at a loss. Sorry.

I love that you're playing with a Vader bobblehead. The second photo, I would have shot it from a bit lower angle, directly at the side of the glass.
I also thought this.

Please, comment!

Try not to feel bad, but when you think of only one "rule" you tend to forget about all the other "rules".

Just relax, it will all come to you in time.

re: the first one.
You have cropped this to almost a panoramic for no obvious artistic reason when you could have moved the subjects. Shots that aren't in a standard ratio (2:3 or 4:5) tend to draw attention to the shaoe - and for no reason here.

Second, you may not have a clear understanding of the 'rule of thirds.' Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

helmet2.jpg

They are both a little dark for me.

First picture: I think the pink thing is a little too dominating in the frame since its out of focus. Maybe crop part out just so you can't see the space behind it.

Picture Two: the vignette is a little too heavy for me, but this is a habit I had as well, which I've started to correct as well.

I am by no means a pro :) those are just my opinions, and at the very least, at least you're pulling out the camera and trying.

Thanks for your comments! I'll try to compose my pictures better regarding the point of view.

With regard to the vignette, you are right! It is a little bit heavy. I may have exagerated a bit!

Thanks for your support!

Thanks! I think the Vader would make something cool, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad you liked the idea, at least! Thanks you!

The thing with the second photograph is that if I had lowered my angle, I'd loose the background. Now it easy for me to speak, but I should have chosen a better background.

Thanks for your comments!

Beware your background. Many photographers look at the main subject and completely forget that there are other things in the shot.

Question: Why do you like these shots ?

You are completely right! I must pay attention to my backgrounds. Maybe it would be better if I made a backgound (e.g. with cloth, take the setting to another background, etc). Thanks for the heads up!

With regard to your question: I must say I don't LOVE this pictures. They are pretty terrible, actually. But with only a few days with the camera, and no formal study about photography, I needed to ask what I was/am doing wrong in order to improve. And these were the "less terrible" ones.

And I am very fond of the idea of Vader fighting a Dinosaur. It gives me an unusual, yet fun, view. :)

Thanks for your attention.

I came back to these several times, hoping to find something to critque because I know getting nothing back is pretty defeating, but I'm at a loss. Sorry.

Hello, Rick! Well, thank you for your time! I'm also aware that coming to the forum to see a pretty lousy amateur and this kind of images may be frustrating. However, I'm doing this in order to be able to improve.

Thanks for coming! I hope to take pictures worthy of seeing in some time.

Please, comment!

Try not to feel bad, but when you think of only one "rule" you tend to forget about all the other "rules".

Just relax, it will all come to you in time.

Thank you! I don't feel bad for the critique at all! Actually, they have been awesome comments.

As a beginner, it is quite hard to concentrate in everything I should, but I believe, and hope, that I'll get the hang of it with time.

To be very honest with you, I'm only afraid not to be able to put everything I have been learning into my photographs. I say this, because I don't have very much sense of art. Anyway, I hope to get better with time! Thanks for your comment!

re: the first one.
You have cropped this to almost a panoramic for no obvious artistic reason when you could have moved the subjects. Shots that aren't in a standard ratio (2:3 or 4:5) tend to draw attention to the shaoe - and for no reason here.

Second, you may not have a clear understanding of the 'rule of thirds.' Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
]

Thanks for the insightful comment!

I have cropped it too much, trying to hide elements that were in there accidentally. I was not very successful the
ratio.

Also, I'll read more about the rule of thirds and practice more. Thank you for your time!

Thank you all for the comments here. I really appreciate, and hope not to have bothered you that much!
I'm willing to study, practice, and get better. And I hope I can get satisfying results to show!

No prob.
Keep shooting, keep looking to improve ... and note that our opinions are just that, opinions.

Hello, friends! These are my first photographs here. Please, don't take so hard on me!

I have been photographing everything I can (haven't been out of the apartment with the Camera). There are 2 photos that I liked, which I'm posting here. I'm a little embarassed of posting them, since I have seen some great work here, but I'd REALLY like some comments of do's and don'ts about them, and to be able to improve!

On both I have tried to use the Rule of Thirds, and letting only the subject on focus.

Please, comment!

Thanks for your attention, and your time!
You're doing fine. I am new to this too and the first thing I feel us rookies need to do is find focus with the camera. I did not "focus" on the rule of thirds when I started and now I am. Take a lot of photos and learn aperture settings, shutter speeds and exposure first IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back