What's new

C&C Fun at the Park

jdsfighter

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
266
Reaction score
29
Location
Owasso, OK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few friends and I went to the park today, and I felt like grabbing a few shots while we were there. I wasn't really happy with any of them honestly, but they loved them, so I guess I did ok. This is one of my first times photographing people, and I definitely need some massive improvement, but I had fun.

img0867cc.jpg

img0868s.jpg

img0872et.jpg

img0876sy.jpg
 
They look somewhat under exposed to my non pro eyes. I see that in the second one you use a shutterspeed of 1/30 , f7.1, and ISO160. I would have bumped the ISO before slowing my shutterspeed down that much. Also, look up the rule of thirds. It will really help your images look better if they have some decent composition. Read up on exposure. There are some great links to be found here for that kind of stuff.
 
It was a lot of trial and error, most came out heavily over exposed so I scaled it back in photoshop, but for some reason a higher iso ~400 and an shutter speed of 1/80 or greater came out very under exposed.

As for rule of thirds, the way I cropped the photos helped eliminate a very distracting background (in some cases).

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk
 
It could be the bright reflections from the water throwing the meter off. I'd try spot metering to see if that works better for you.
 
As I am very new to the dslr world, I've yet to discover a fraction of the settings, so I'm not entirely sure how to produce the best shots yet

Sent from my CM9 Android HP Touchpad using Tapatalk.
 
I wasn't really happy with any of them honestly, but they loved them, so I guess I did ok.

My friends (and family) tell me the same thing, even about my worst, most craptastic photos. Don't believe it - they mean well, and probably do think our photos are wonderful, but it's not a valid measure of our work.

Anyway, my opinion (for whatever that's worth - lol) of these photos is:

#1: Nice. I like the beautiful reflection, the lazy feel, the family of ducks. Seems a bit underexposed in the trees, and a bit cold; I'd work on the color balance a little. It might be tilted slightly to the left, also, so I'd fix that as well.

#2: I don't like the vignette. The faces need more light. Slightly OOF. Tree coming out of man's head. Too much yellow?

#3: Better light in the faces, here. But... Sky blown out behind heads makes a harsh contrast. Faces are OOF. Vignetting, again. Horizon feels tilted. Man looks frustrated or something, and his left hand looks baked or something - eek.

#4: I'd crop this closer. Interesting light (on-camera flash?). Nice leg(!). Wish she was looking towards or at the camera.
 
I wasn't really happy with any of them honestly, but they loved them, so I guess I did ok.

My friends (and family) tell me the same thing, even about my worst, most craptastic photos. Don't believe it - they mean well, and probably do think our photos are wonderful, but it's not a valid measure of our work.

Anyway, my opinion (for whatever that's worth - lol) of these photos is:

#1: Nice. I like the beautiful reflection, the lazy feel, the family of ducks. Seems a bit underexposed in the trees, and a bit cold; I'd work on the color balance a little. It might be tilted slightly to the left, also, so I'd fix that as well.

#2: I don't like the vignette. The faces need more light. Slightly OOF. Tree coming out of man's head. Too much yellow?

#3: Better light in the faces, here. But... Sky blown out behind heads makes a harsh contrast. Faces are OOF. Vignetting, again. Horizon feels tilted. Man looks frustrated or something, and his left hand looks baked or something - eek.

#4: I'd crop this closer. Interesting light (on-camera flash?). Nice leg(!). Wish she was looking towards or at the camera.

I agree with number 4... with those legs it wouldve been perfect if she was looking at camera
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom