What's new

C&C: Insect of the week

MrBarney

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 7, 2010
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Caught this guy as the light was fading last night. I've seen a few dragonflies posted recently and didn't think I would see one this year, and then there he was!

This'll be by first ever for C&C. The EXIF should be in-tact. Be gentle :lol:

img2076ps.jpg
 
excellent capture
 
As others have mentioned, this shot is nicely done. I don't think you need to worry about anyone being to harsh with you on this shot.
 
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I was struggling with the light and worried that it might not be as sharp as it could have been. 1/60 @120mm, wide open (f5.6), iso1600. It's also had more PP adjustment than I usually do, so I'm glad no-one said it was overdone.

What kind of camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Canon 50D, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS kit lens.
 
Probably needed a strobe in there. Shooting wide open means you're getting little DoF. It also makes your lens soft, however the same could be said for f/22.

Here's an example of a dragonfly I did recently. This was full sun, so flash wasn't needed but it was definatly on a tripod. It's also at f/22, and I'm still irritated i missed the close wing-tip. So yours (and mine) are a little soft.

In your case, a speedlight and a tripod would help.
 

Damn, that's impressive.

I only have a very cheap, flimsy tripod, and no speedlite. I will add them to the shopping list, but I daren't mention more camera equipment to the wife so soon after buying the camera! There seems to be so much to learn with strobes too.

I take your point about needing more depth of field. I tend to open the aperture first when I need more light. I'll try and work on that more.

Thanks for the help :D
 
Damn, that's impressive.

Meh. I like the butterflies above it better.

I only have a very cheap, flimsy tripod, and no speedlite. I will add them to the shopping list, but I daren't mention more camera equipment to the wife so soon after buying the camera! There seems to be so much to learn with strobes too.

I take your point about needing more depth of field. I tend to open the aperture first when I need more light. I'll try and work on that more.

Thanks for the help :D

You'll quickly learn that aperture is more about depth of field control than light, for the most part. Let your shutter speed and ISO take care of the light (although you were shooting about as wide open as possible). In that case, you need to add light.

The tripod I've got and the speedlight (both purchased 2nd hand) ran me less than $300 total. We've picked up an expensive hobby.

If you want to make your purchasing easier, bookmark this page. Say something to the effect of "Honey, I think I'm going to buy this lens." Let her freak out about that and then tell her "Haha, no, I'm just gonna spend $150 on a tripod."
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom