TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is this photo interesting at all?

or is it just a random snapshot?

i was just standing outside the laundromat waiting for my stuff to dry and decided to go take pictures of random stuff...

thanks in advance!

3770535476_a61a84d6eb_b.jpg

Yes. it's a snap shot.

Is this a snapshot?

If you have to ask the question, then you have already answered the question and really do not need others' opinions. Your description of how the image came about speaks volumes of the forethought given prior to depressing the shutter button. Self censorship is a wonderful thing.

I have to answer your question with a question: why did you take the picture? By saying this I'm not being mean or sarcastic. I always try to
help when doing a C&C. What were you trying to convey?

I read someone's comment in this forum awhile back, they said that any
photograph a person takes is not a waste of time, or something to that
effect and I couldn't agree more. A person learns from every photo: what
works and what doesn't work. I should know, I have scads of failed pics,
but I'm always learning. Aren't we all?

So I would say keep taking photos of everything and anything and I think
you will get to where you want to be.

I have to answer your question with a question: why did you take the picture? By saying this I'm not being mean or sarcastic. I always try to
help when doing a C&C. What were you trying to convey?

Indeed, this is the important thing to consider. If you were conveying a message, a feeling, something or anything, then I wouldn't call it a snapshot. The truth is that when you're out shooting on the street, or doing candids, there simply isn't time to plan much. The most forethought one can put into it is getting settings close to where they will likely need to be, and having a very keen eye. You go by instinct, and can capture interesting, even powerful moments with your camera this way.

If you put even a little forethought into the image (perhaps you saw this guy crossing the street, predicted where he'd go, and tripped the shutter when you intended?), I wouldn't call it a snapshot. When doing this, don't think about it as taking pictures of random things. Think about it as searching for something interesting that the world presents you, and have the camera primed and ready for such a moment at all times.

thanks for all the feedback.

i guess it wasn't totally random... i like taking pictures of ppl doing what they do... and since it was raining just wanted to snap some of ppl while it was dropping...

so... i liked this one cuz it was funny to me... i took a lot of different pictures but when i looked through them later this one caught my eye... and i wasn't really sure why... maybe it's because he has the laundromat cart w/ him for some reason and i never seen anyone w/ one outside of the l-mat lol

also... i know someone posted a cpl pics on nyc 2 days ago... showed the chaos of the city... but this to me was a really different feel... and really just another neighborhood not far from where the other one was taken...

Is it a snapshot to you, or does it convey any kind of message to you? You're the artist in terms of that shot, so why worry too much about how others conceive it?

Snapshots can be artistic as well. I think it looked really nice anyways...just have your camera on you at all times and constantly take pictures...practice makes perfect...don't wait for the perfect opportunity...like you said...you went through the photos you took and this one caught your eye...there must have been a reason because it also caught my eye...please please please keep going....this was a good photo...and you can only get better....since you mention that your photos are okay to edit...I took the liberty to adjust a few things...I hope you don't mind....

Here's my version:
6574_110651874820_508854820_2250853_2490050_n.jpg

This is interesting. I keep reading about snapshots and how people should stray away from them, I really think that there can be art in a simple shot like the one here. If we're always looking for that "art" look, we pass up beauties like this picture. In my opinion, this is one of my favorite photos I've seen on this forum. I keep coming back to it. There's something unique about this and I don't seem to be able to put my finger on, yet it holds my interest. Thank you for posting this by the way.

I've said it on the beyond the basics forum and I'll say it here.

Photography to me is just like music.

A symphonic piece of music is an amazing piece that takes you through complex movements with sharp crescendos and immediate decrescendos, yet they take hours of practice to master and much planning.

A site-reading quality piece of music is much more basic, however that is the point because it is a piece of music meant to be played with little or no practice at all. These take a lot of skill to pull of right, however when done right are just as good

In photography our symphonic piece is a pre-meditated shot, and the site-read music is a snapshot. Each are equally amazing in their own way when executed right :)

There isn't anything wrong with snapshots when done right.

I actually enjoyed this shot because I feel like it is portraying an emotion I can relate to, walking back from the laundry mat with a mug on my face in the rain. It could use a bit cleaning up in PP but I would not discount this as a good shot. It makes proper use of thirds, decent weight, and it is something that people can relate to because of the situation.

wow thanks!

i'm happy i got some positive feedback on this one as well as the negative, and i'm glad at least some people saw what i did.

This one is better than any photo I've taken so far...that's why I was surprised people were saying it was just a snapshot. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to go take some more soon. I love practicing, even if nothing ever comes from it. Half the fun of having a baby is making it....

Most reactions

Back