C & C Motocross!!!

Nice shot! I do have one critique, and that's that the image feels a little weird with his left leg and part of the bike cut off. You can't really fix that in post, though. I think it's a very good image with that one exception.

Yeah thanks, i kinda liked it that way though but i can see where you are coming from. i'll try lots more angles next time :D

Next time, you might scroll down a bit further and post in the Photojournalism & Sports Gallery forum.

The DoF is a bit to shallow as the end of the front forks are not in focus. No doubt the tire and wheel should be blurred to support the movement of the motorcycle.
Some fill flash would make the rider and bike 'pop' better and the background can be further isolated light wise by using shutter speed.

Other than the cut off leg/bike, the framing has space on the left for the rider to move into which also supports a sense of motion in the photo in concert with the blurred tire/wheel.

For me the B&W conversion is to dense, and lakes sufficient tonal range.

801Edit0574269_c84cd45d8b_c_zps26d3e300.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah thanks, i kinda liked it that way though but i can see where you are coming from. i'll try lots more angles next time :D
Its not so much an angle, as the framing. You could have taken the exact same shot, just zoomed out slighly (or step back ) and have some breathing room around the rider and bike. Don't fall into the trap of telling yourself you "kinda liked it that way". "Liking it that way" and getting the framing spot on is what makes the difference between a professional quality photograph, and a glorified snapshot. Now do not read that as me saying you took a glorified snapshot, because I am not. What I am saying is, you need to learn these things so that you can be a better critic of yourself instead of simply being complacent. You could put this photo next to the same one that is framed properly, and I would bet most uneducated people would pic the properly framed photo as being better. Including yourself. They wouldn't have a clue why they think that way, but as the saying goes- the devil is in the details. You may truly like it this way, but thats probably because you don't have the chance to see what it could have been. The only thing you have to compare it to, is itself.

With that said, I agree with KMH that the open space on the left is a good thing. I also think that the red in the outfit looks like it may be a bit over-saturated.

Its not so much an angle, as the framing. You could have taken the exact same shot, just zoomed out slighly (or step back ) and have some breathing room around the rider and bike. Don't fall into the trap of telling yourself you "kinda liked it that way". "Liking it that way" and getting the framing spot on is what makes the difference between a professional quality photograph, and a glorified snapshot. Now do not read that as me saying you took a glorified snapshot, because I am not. What I am saying is, you need to learn these things so that you can be a better critic of yourself instead of simply being complacent. You could put this photo next to the same one that is framed properly, and I would bet most uneducated people would pic the properly framed photo as being better. Including yourself. They wouldn't have a clue why they think that way, but as the saying goes- the devil is in the details. You may truly like it this way, but thats probably because you don't have the chance to see what it could have been. The only thing you have to compare it to, is itself.

With that said, I agree with KMH that the open space on the left is a good thing. I also think that the red in the outfit looks like it may be a bit over-saturated.

Thankyou so much, you are right about comparing it to itself i will definitely take everything you have said and try and improve my pics tomorrow. I am also going to try and experiment with fill flash outdoors for the first time.

Most reactions

Back