C&C on a possible triptych

Aujmarie23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofafauxtographer.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Great Grandmother recently passed away a few weeks ago and I dedicated a recent photography assignment to her. My Great Grandfather is still living and I plan on framing 3 of the images together and giving it to him as a gift.

The premise behind the series is that my Great Nana taught me a lot about love, marriage and commitment (being married to my Great Papa for 71 years). So I photographed images that represented the impact she had on my marriage and used a red rose in each to represent her place in my life.

I chose these 3 images and they've been edited already and am willing to make whatever changes needed, but I just wanted thoughts on whether or not they seem cohesive together.

76421_654816056588_37703858_36663896_7351432_n.jpg
148119_654816086528_37703858_36663897_1584235_n.jpg

37157_654816176348_37703858_36663900_5186395_n.jpg

Those toasting flutes are the ones they used 71 years ago. :heart:

I like what you are doing here. The only suggestion or opinion I have, is the rose seems to be the focus of all three shots. I suggest you might break that with the third image and focus on the crystal, and defocus the rose. I just feel the rose will stay a repeated motif, but not become repetitive, by giving the viewer something else, and something important to focus on.

Oh, and I would get the tea lights out of their tin holders. ;)

I like what you are doing here. The only suggestion or opinion I have, is the rose seems to be the focus of all three shots. I suggest you might break that with the third image and focus on the crystal, and defocus the rose. I just feel the rose will stay a repeated motif, but not become repetitive, by giving the viewer something else, and something important to focus on.

Good idea. I know I have another shot on the computer where I focused more on the crystal glasses than on the rose so I'll edit that one when I get a chance and see how it turns out. Thanks!

I like the idea of the project; I think this will make a wonderful gift, but I find the rose too much the centre of attention in all three images. In #1 (Upper left) the image is extremely noisy and I find the dark shadows upper left distracting. Is this the lace of her wedding dress? IMO, it is what should be in sharp focus. #2 (upper right) is a lovely, symbolic idea, but the rose is too much the subject. I would say place the rings on a dark background with perhaps a photo of your grandparents far enough in the background that it's softly focused. #3 (bottom) is another nice idea, but glass is tricky to photograph well; again I think a darker background with something small and symbolic in place of the rose. This image needs a lot more space as the glasses are cropped on both sides, as are the candles. I think a much darker image using the candles (perhaps a large, decorative candle) for primary light might work. Instead of a rose in each, perhaps two images (say the rings and 'flutes) with an image of a rose between them? Or (if your framing budget allows) the two images with a real rose, shadow-box style between.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Most reactions

New Topics

Back