C&C on first product style shot

craigdhd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've never shot anything in a product studio style before but have been given an assignment to shoot the theme of water for my camera club. Knowing the guys in it the majority of the photos submitted are gonna be streams and rivers and so I wanted to try doing something a bit different in this style capturing splashes, bubbles etc. I've posted my first attempt below, I watched as many tutorials as I could and there's a bit of compositing between several of the photos I took and a lot more photoshop than I'm used to so would like to get some constructive criticism on it's strengths and weaknesses before I continue trying to set up some more shots.

$composite.jpg

did a bit more editing to tone down some reflections would appreciate any other ideas for improvement?
$composite-2.jpg

I like your idea ... though I am not sure if the water pouring into the glass is right.
The lighting is good.

I like your idea ... though I am not sure if the water pouring into the glass is right.
The lighting is good.

I was thinking the opposite, the lighting is ...inadequate. The bottle looks to have some embossing on it, but it is barely visible, the company paid to have that built into the bottle, if it were me I'd make sure it was visible (I realize it isn't a paid product photo, but still). Maybe a reflector front left to bring some light back onto the front of the bottle, and skim across the embossing on the front.

I'd try some different angles for the pour, try to get it coming in almost at one lip of the glass, then splashing back up just as it starts to hit the bottom, something more dynamic, this is rather plain.

insstead of posting our the distraction reflections, make better ones from the start.

Sweet Surrender by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Someone posted that video after I showed my shot (lit underneath and from the camera right (bounced back by a reflector camera left).

That video is a huge help and I plan to use some of the techniques when I shoot again. Also, it looks like you need better separation from the background..

Best,
Jake

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back