C&C on Lighting (and anything else glarinly wrong)

MWC2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cynthialinderbeck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Instead of packing up the Christmas stuff, we played a little and I worked on how to use my lights. C&C is always welcome and wanted.

Light one placed in front left corner, pointed down at a 45% angle.
Light two placed back right corner, pointed at about 35% angle (powered down a little).

6655472929_6c618f1319_z.jpg

SS: 1/50
F/3.5
ISO: 160
Canon 40D w/24-70L

6655471243_29545a7447_z.jpg

SS: 1/40
F/3.5
Canon 40D w/24-70L

6655469959_cc4f45f295_z.jpg

SS: 1/50
F/3.5
Canon 40D w/24-70L

I'm just embarking on learning about studio lighting myself, so can't really comment on that aspect.
Cute kids, tho.

One question: do the poor things not own a single pair of matching socks?? :lmao:

Ewwuuuu! Up the nostrils. (#3) and the bright green toe of the dark sock draws the eye like a magnet.

Try to keep the nose shadow off the lip line.

In #2 the shadow cast by her arms creates a dissonance with the light on her back and cheek.

In all 3 the camera perspective is to high.

The devil is in the details.

I'm just embarking on learning about studio lighting myself, so can't really comment on that aspect.
Cute kids, tho.

One question: do the poor things not own a single pair of matching socks?? :lmao:

matching socks??? that's so 1960's :)

i like the shadows off the arms on #2.

i like #1, except that part of her arms & hands were cut out.

and i love the name & logo :)

I know nothing of studio lighting, but I like what you have here!

Thanks for sharing!!

I think you did a great job. The key light looks a bit hot on my screen. Shadows are your friend, but you typically want the soft ones and avoid sharp/defined shadows on the face.

Gotta love the grey background paper!

I think you did a great job. The key light looks a bit hot on my screen. Shadows are your friend, but you typically want the soft ones and avoid sharp/defined shadows on the face.

Gotta love the grey background paper!

So I need to power down the key light some more, gotta!

Ya I have a muslin backdrop as well, I used it the first time, quickly folded it back up and went to my local camera shop and got the grey paper. Much nicer.

If I had to add my two cents, and I know nothing of portrait work, I find the glasses to be a shame in the first just because she has such beautiful eyes!!!!

If I had to add my two cents, and I know nothing of portrait work, I find the glasses to be a shame in the first just because she has such beautiful eyes!!!!

She does wear glasses but these are the 3D glasses from the movies (lenses removed), they play dress up with them. I have given up on fighting them on what they want to wear when I'm practicing, it's a battle that ends up with me not getting to practice and way to much stress.

ohh matching socks are so not "cool" at their school. They have a strict dress code and this is one of the only ways they get to "express" themselves that doesn't violate dress code. (by strict I mean, polo shirts of solid colour, jeans with 5 or less pockets (not cargo), pants must be worn at the waist, belt at all times, boys hair can not touch the collar of the shirt).

Love the photos. I am not skilled enough to comment on the lighting, etc., but a very nice effort for your first attempt.

And I know what you mean about the mismatching socks. My kids socks look just like those. I don't even bother matching them up after washing. Why waste the time????

KmH - how would one place two lights, not cause a shadow and keep from getting flat lighting?
You needed to modify the light camera right so it was apparently much larger. An apparently larger light casts a more diffuse, softer edged shadow.

With a large enough light modifier you can make shadows almost invisible.

Grey barckgrounds rock. Your shots are shop and crip and clear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back