C&C on one of my favourite photos

kamerageek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shot this on a photo walk last summer. I'd like to know what you all think.

IMG5702-M.jpg

I must be getting a little slow in my old age, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what this is - a fountain? - and I guess from my perspective, anyway, I like to be able to determine, on my own, what an image is all about - this has me stumped. As I asked, I am thinking it is a fountain, or part of a fountain. If that is the case, then it would be nice to see the larger context of this image. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

The camera is functional. That's all I get from this.

i enjoy pics of water. this is definitely captured a unique movement of it. however, i feel like we are missing the best parts of the scenery because its all been cropped. maybe shifting the water one way or another in the frame and zooming out a bit to get some more background?

I must be getting a little slow in my old age, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what this is - a fountain? - and I guess from my perspective, anyway, I like to be able to determine, on my own, what an image is all about - this has me stumped. As I asked, I am thinking it is a fountain, or part of a fountain. If that is the case, then it would be nice to see the larger context of this image. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I see exactly where you're coming from. The photo is of a fountain that has a bunch of different water features and I thought it would be interesting to focus on one. Unfortunately, there is no context, so you're left guessing about the subject. Composition lesson learned. Thanks.

i enjoy pics of water. this is definitely captured a unique movement of it. however, i feel like we are missing the best parts of the scenery because its all been cropped. maybe shifting the water one way or another in the frame and zooming out a bit to get some more background?

The unique movement of the water was the thing I was trying to capture. As you and WesternGuy both pointed out I missed the boat (sorry for the bad pun) on presenting a more interesting image by zooming in so closely. I'll have to try again the next time I'm in Chicago.

While I appreciate the time you took to give me feedback, your comment isn't helpful. It's critical, but it doesn't provide any information that I can use to grow or improve.

You saw my photo and it didn't inspire you. That's all I get from this.

I disagree with all who say you need context, and to zoom out. Perhaps you should zoom in and eliminate distracting backgrounds, and focus even more on your subject, which is obviously the action of the water. This would have been a good opportunity to shoot vertically as well.

I'd say 75%, or more, of my photography is about removing context, and leaving the viewer guessing.

Context is not about composition. That's a different animal entirely.

While I appreciate the time you took to give me feedback, your comment isn't helpful. It's critical, but it doesn't provide any information that I can use to grow or improve.

You saw my photo and it didn't inspire you. That's all I get from this.

Just another sarcastic comment. If you watch he does this on everyone's thread. Just ignore him.

I disagree with all who say you need context, and to zoom out. Perhaps you should zoom in and eliminate distracting backgrounds, and focus even more on your subject, which is obviously the action of the water. This would have been a good opportunity to shoot vertically as well.

I'd say 75%, or more, of my photography is about removing context, and leaving the viewer guessing.

Agree with this - you need to go one way or the other. Was this shot in raw? If so, work on the conversion. The image has white and black, but appears to lack contrast in the mid-tones, at least here on my work monitor.

I agree with Bitter Jeweler, I think it would work well as more of an abstract photo zoomed in closer. One option would be to get down a little lower too so you are pretty even with the surface of the water and try framing it off to one side or the other perhaps with some of those bubbles being the base of the photo.

I think water is a cool subject too, especially because we don't naturally see it frozen in time like this and it's fascinating to look at.

I actually agree with this as well. Although it wasn't my first thought when I viewed the picture.

Also, where in Chicago is this? I dont live far form there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back